n72ap (new iPod touch) doesn't love Pwnage...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jfb392, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Unfortunately, it looks like the current form of Pwnage won't work with the new iPod touch (n72ap).
    The device has a new GID key (I assume this is because it uses a different processor; the S5L8720x, rather than the S5L8900 used in the first iPod touch, iPhone and iPhone 3G), which means that none of the system images can be decrypted.
    Each image contains a KBAG tag which is 0x20 long (32 bytes) that is decrypted by the hardware AES engine, then the resulting keys are used to decrypt the image itself.
    Since the GID key differs from every other device, you can only decrypt KBAG tag data using n72ap itself.
    Of course, this leads you to a dead end, since you use either the kernel or iBoot to gain access to the hardware AES engine (which usually cannot be accessed).
    A new exploit will have to be found to allow access to the hardware AES engine first, so that the KBAG data can then be decrypted, which will then allow for images to be decrypted and modified.

So, we have to wait for a new low-level exploit or settle for something less than Pwnage (probably not possible, since 2.x is locked down).
    Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen very quickly, since the Dev Team is actually the iPhone Dev Team, and they don't seem to prioritize the iPod touch.
    Here's to hoping though!

Props to Chronic and WEsTbAeR-- for making the processor and model information available so quickly.
    I assume that one of the two, or both, also discovered that there is a new GID key.
  2. Exsomos

Exsomos Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Would a downgrade to the 2.0.2 firmware be possible and would that help the jailbreak? And do you have to have itunes 8 to use the new ipod t? i kinda like bieng able to install apps with the mobileinstaltion hack... Its so similar that it cant be that different.... what about the the cydia and installer? would that be effected by this change?

How much is in jeoperdy here?
  3. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    wow.....thats cool that you know all that. but it kinda sucks that pwnage wont be released for a while (or so i predict...

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  4. Canuck

Canuck New Member

The iPod Touch 2G firmware and the iPod Touch 1G firmware are not identical. The 2G iPod Touch has to take into account the speaker and the external volume controls, as well as Nike + iPod, making the firmware thus, by definition, different. If you managed to install custom 2.02 firmware on the 2G model anyways, parts of it wouldn't work, if not the entire thing. So basically, the only solution is to find a new exploit / crack for this new processor (basically starting part of the jailbreak from scratch), which will no doubt take a while.

I'm sure Apple changed the processor to try to delay jailbreakers from hacking the thing (probably along with actual reasons too, though).
  5. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
  6. Exsomos

Exsomos Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    well i just bought my 32gb touch and apple is going to let me return it and then i will buy the new 2g. But if i cant jailbreak and add cracked games, not sure i want to do this now....

One part of me is sure that they will jalbreak this one soon and then i start to over think things and wonder if any apps will work on both 2g and 1g with out modification. 2g is the new but 1g is the masses... Hmmmmm decisions....

What are your opinions on this jfb392 and canuck? Are the 2g people out of the loop now?
  7. Andrewtst

Andrewtst New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If I am you... I will buy version 2 since it is much more better and got "Speaker" and more cheap...the jailbreak issue...we can just wait right?
  8. dimdig23

dimdig23 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    it feels like were at 1.1.1 on the first gen ipods
    i rember those days.
  9. bobthehacker

bobthehacker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I new this was coming but i tought thay would have don it with the iphone 3g!

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Iphone dev-team said that the only way for apple to stop pwnage would be through hardware modification. Well, they did it. I almost feel lucky they didn't do it on the iphone 3G.