N64 Emulator- Why Not?

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by drewface, May 7, 2008.

?

Would you use an N64 Emulator on your ipod/phone even if it didn't run in full speed?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. drewface

drewface New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Before you flame me, read everything below.

There are only 2 problems from keeping an N64 Emulator being released, and I don't see why they are problems at all.

1. People complain there are too many buttons
    Not true. The PSX Emulator has more buttons than the N64 does. Even though the number of buttons seem overwhelming (Analog stick, d-pad, c-pad, R and L, Start, A and B, Z) it really isn't that bad. Below I posted a picture of what the controll set up could possibly look like, and as you can see, its not bad at all.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Just hold your ipod and imagine playing it like this. Works great huh?

2. It would run too slow
    This is the only real reason that a N64 Emulator hasn't been made. Of course it would run slow. They are 64-bit games and the ipod touch/iphone couldn't run anything above 32-bit in full speed. But when you look at games like this, and upcoming games like Spore and Super Monkey Ball, it really brings hope for the Emulator. Can't we just make the graphics 32-bit like all the other games? I don't see why not. I read somewhere that the N64 has a 32-bit processor in it anyway (Im not sure exactly what im talking about, correct me if im wrong). Besides, there are still tons of people (including me) that wouldn't mind playing their games at full speed or not (hence the poll).

So please, stop the N64 hate. I know the boards get flooded with these threads, but its because people really, really want an emulator. N64 has had the best games out of any console to date, and I still don't see why an attempt at an emulator still hasn't been made.

If I get flamed too much or everyone hates this thread for some unknown reason, ill try getting this locked.
  2. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats a really good mockup of a controller. The emulator would run slow generally and with the touch screen controller it would be even slower. I'm not flaming you, just giving my opinion. N64 isn't even full speed on the psp. I agree there are a lot of good games being made like the new racing game, but N64's graphics are about the same. I don't think its going to work even it is made. But with the SDK maybe there is a chance. Both spore and super monkey ball have better graphics than that of the N64.
  3. rocker5

rocker5 New Member

ok the games like monkey ball and spore are made by proffesional coders form sega and whoever decided to jion in on the fun they are made from the ground up and right now nobody really feels like making a homemade version of mario64 or whatever games u want
  4. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats true. Whereas, Zodttd for example has to fix the (emulator) engine for the games to run on it.
  5. iPodTouchEdwards

iPodTouchEdwards New Member

im sorry but this will never happen, i and everyone else can dream but nope, to answer your question it will never get to full speed, not even a PSP can get it to full!!! and thats basically from Zodttds words himself!

6. BCS321

BCS321 New Member

You say that we have SDK games like Spore and Super Monkey Ball running at full speed, so why not this. The only thing your missing is the fact that it is an emulator, which requires exponentially more processing power than native applications.
  7. latinoheat69

latinoheat69 New Member

isn't it a 64 bit processor??
  8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes it is actually, hence "Nintendo 64"
  9. drewface

drewface New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ^^^
    Like I said, correct me cause I don't know exactly what Im talking about

10. drewface

drewface New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think people are missing the point.
    I know it would run very slow, I said that in my post.
    I was asking if maybe we can dumb down the graphics or something, because the N64 highly wanted and has many great games for it; it would make a great emulator.
    Then I was pointing out how we know the ipod touch/iphone can run games like Spore and Super Monkey Ball (which have better graphics than N64 games). And, there are lots of people who would still use the emulator even if it ran slow.