N64 Emulation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shortperson1026, Oct 15, 2009.

1. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

I know that with the iPod Touch 1g, 2g and the iPhone original and iPhone 3g, N64 emulation was a ridiculous thought.

But looking over at the psp's CPU speed of 333mhz, then looking over at the new iPod Touch 3G and iPhone 3Gs's CPU speed of around 600mhz, do you now think that is possible?

Putting a control scheme out of the way, I believe that it is in fact possible.

Going back to the control scheme, I think that something with the accelerometer and the touch screen combined could provide easy control.

Leaving the analog control to the accelerometer leaves the whole screen open for the C buttons on the left side, and the A, B, and Start buttons on the right.
    The L button wouldn't be needed at all, so in it's place we could put Z in the top lefthand corner, or in the very bottom left. The R button would mirror the Z button on screen.

I think that the C buttons and the analog stick would be controlled either by an on screen stick, or the accelerometer. I thought, why not be able to swap them out? It would be very useful to either have the analog on screen or controlled by the accelerometer, while having the C buttons accessible use the other; so if the analog was being controlled by the accelerometer, the C buttons would be on screen and vise-versa.

I've decided that the L button and D-pad are basically pointless, as they aren't used in many games, but the option to include them on screen or be used by the accelerometer could be an option.

This rendition displays the analog stick on screen, but users would be able to swap the on screen analog stick with the C buttons if they prefer it

A small display in the center shows the tilt of the device. When you tilt the device in the direction of the C button desired and you press either of the C buttons on the side, the corresponding button is pressed in-game.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Normal buttons are pressed on screen along with a touch analog stick, while the C buttons are managed by the accelerometer.

Just to get an idea of what the emulator would feel like, you can save this image and view it full size on your i-Device

2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
  3. shortperson1026

I like to promote intelligence.

Why not do the same and explain your reasoning?
  4. Shukketsu.Azuguad

Shukketsu.Azuguad Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I love the idea. Not certain you could do it though. Even developers would probably have issues. N64 games are probably still copyrighted, so it wouldn't be an App Store download.
  5. DeadlyD™

DeadlyD™ New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think this would be a cool idea. I don't have a JB'ed iPod Touch so I won't be able to get it....but a very fun idea!
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    93.75 MHz x 10 = _____________.

Close, but no cigar. Also, if you wanted to emulate the PSP:

333 MHz x 10 = _____________.
  7. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One

The entire control scheme seems unnatural. Your trying to fit all these buttons onto a tiny screen?

It just wouldn't work. Not to mention that the iDevices do not actually have all that processing power/RAM to use for an application as most is sacrificed to the OS itself. The emulator/games would also burn through battery power like no tomorrow.
  8. shortperson1026

Well of course it would be prohibited in the App Store

*points to Cydia*
  9. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    That control scheme would be way too complex, but I'd love to see this. Whatever works ya know?

EDIT: iCrap read Tes' post.
  10. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Putting aside the controls, the 3g iPod and 3GS iPhone could do this, right?