n00b question.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by edwinqut, Feb 9, 2009.

1. edwinqut

edwinqut Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    What is the difference between a Tethered and a Un Tethered Jailbreak?
    And can i still sync my iPod normally with iTunes?
    sorry for the extremelly n00bish questions,
  2. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    ok... first off search please... there are multiple threads about this. now.

tethered and untethered... a more proper term is persistent and non-persistent.

tethered (non-persistent) means that when ever u reboot ur ipod, u will need to reapply the jailbreak patch with a computer, otherwise the ipod will b useless. at this point in time, that is the current state of the jailbreak, but there are many programs up for download here that will re apply the patch for u.

untethered (persistent) means that no matter what, the jailbreak will always be on your ipod, and ur ipod will work like normal. this is what the dev teams are trying to accomplish now.

now u can still sync ur ipod itunes normally, and u can still buy stuff from the app store as well as itunes. but if u do jailbreak, when it asks if u want to set up a new ipod, or restore from a back up, start a new ipod. it is for sure to work, because there have been some random instances of people resotring from a backup, and then they would have to reapply the patch again. but at this point for u, i would do a LOT of research before jailbreaking. know all that u have to know before u do anything because it is complicated, and it isn't for the average person. search on the forums, and u should b ok.