MyVu Solo Plus EV All-In-One Video Goggles

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rmc08, Aug 19, 2009.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I posted this at another site, and I own full rights to this article. I cannot remove it from the site because I no longer have administrative privileges there, and the admin will not remove it. Therefore I have posted it here. NOTIFY ME IF THIS SHOULDN'T BE HERE AND I WILL REMOVE IT!

I recently obtained a sample of the MyVu Solo Plus EV Goggles in the mail, and they could very well work good with gaming. But that's why I'm here! I'm going to put these to the test on my PS2 (my PS3 is out getting fixed, sorry!) and my iPod Touch, to see the screen size, durability and video/audio quality!

Be sure to check out my upcoming video review comparing the MyVu Solo Plus EV All-In-One with the Vuzix iWear AV920!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I was very excited to receive my box in the mail, and sliced it open with a knife. I was surprised to see 3 boxes: the Travel Case, the iPod Cables, and of course the MyVu Goggles.

Unboxing Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaZZsiKXLaA

The whole All-In-One package includes:

* MyVu Solo Plus EV Goggles
    * USB Charge Cable (x2)
    * AV Cable
    * iPod AV Cable
    * iPod Touch/iPhone (and others) Dock Connector Cable
    * Nokia 95 Phones Cable
    * Carrying Case
    * Carrying Bag/Sack
    * Different Sized Ear Pieces

Now for the charge time. It took me about 3 hours to charge with the USB cable through the computer. I found that if you unplug it before it's done, the goggles think you're re-charging it all over again so you will have to time it. Also, to think you get SO many cables with the goggles, that the package would include the wall charger. Sadly, it costs extra. But, you can buy it straight through their site. The product also advertises it lasts 4 hours on full chare. That is very true, but the brightness has to be all the way down for that to happen. The true continuous play time is actually about 3-4 hours.

So, now you've seen all the parts. But what about iPod functionality? All you have to do is plug the iPod cable into your iPod (supported iPod list at MyVu.com), and the other end into the remote on the goggle wire. So, I turned it on and tried it, seeing a blue light on the remote flash on and off, with the device then turning off. Hmm, nothing. I tried again, and found myself stuck with a white screen and a few crackles of sound. That's strange, why would that happen? 30 minutes later after fidgeting with the device, I decided to push the AV end of the iPod cable into the remote. It seems that the cable was not all the way in - it is a very tight squeeze. Well, it works now! But the image was a bit disappointing. The advertisement says it's like "A 44" Screen!". Well, that may be true, but its like watching a 44" screen from 15 feet away. The actual image is like holding an iPod Classic about 1 foot in front of you. The video is 100% watchable, and the quality is pretty good for what you pay for. The remote's iPod functionality is very good. It has volume up/down, presets for contrast, and 4 presets for brightness. I just wish that the volume could be raised and lowered without having to unlock the iPod Touch. If you're interested, I've also deciphered what the lights on the remote stand for:

* Blinking Blue: It can't detect a device, so it will not turn on, and will shut off in a few seconds
    * Blinking/Solid Orange: Charging/Low Battery
    * Blue: On and functioning; Full charge

Now, the build quality - I found - was very good. The goggles come with an adjustable nose piece - the 2 nose parts made of rubber, attatched with 2 pieces of sturdy bended metal rods - which is not uncomfortable one bit. The foldable temples are outstanding quality. They may be made of plastic, but they click into a lock position when they are unfolded and around your ears. One of the greatest parts of the goggles are the earphones. They are in ear headphones and come with 3 different cap sizes: small, medium and large.

They fit snug into the ear, and they cancel noice phenomenally. Great for airplanes, and even airports. The worst thing about the build is probably the glass eyepieces. They can cause annoying glare if you are facing the opposite direction of the sun. The glare does not block the picture, but directs your attention away from the screen. By the way, the iPod Cable is pretty durable. The AV part of the cable is nice and durable, and the iPod connection part is made of medium quality plastic. I expected the carrying case to be a soft small case to hold the goggles, which I wouldn't mind. But instead, I got a very great case that is hard and durable, and even has a net section to store stuff in. The case will absorb some shock when dropped, and is good for luggage since it may be hitting up against other items. Lastly, the remote is very nice. It is made of the plastic like on the iPod Cable, and I wouldn't really expect it to break anytime soon. The only part of the device I am concerned about is the cable attatched to the earphones. It is very thin, so if it accidentally gets stuck on something, the earphone could pop right off the goggles. I think they should have made the earphone cables a bit thicker. The cables hooked up between the remote and goggles, although, are very sturdy and durable. Those get an A+!

Now for the video quality. When you put on the goggles, you will notice at first it's a bit small, but further into the video it really isnt that bad. I noticed during dark scenes it was a bit hard to see, so I played around with the contrast and brightness until I got the picture perfectly. Thinking back, even though you get used to the screen size, like I said above, it's still like holding up an iPod Classic. Now, playing video games is a breeze. Just plug your video game console's AV cables into the special adapter, and it immediately pops up on the goggles. Then just play the game like you normally would! Sometimes it's a bit hard to see words on the screen (ammo, health, subtitles, etc.), but games are still completely playable despite that small setback. Also, sadly this doesn't support USB connection to a PC - you must have an AV out connection on your PC/Laptop. By the way, sometimes the image may appear strange looking, with lines and distortion. Just play with the iPod AV cable and it will fix itself.

Audio quality can also be important, and something like this can be important. I recently watched a movie on this, and found that the bass is not as good as I thought it would be. Explosions were bland, and any special effects placed in the movie sounded bland and boring. Although, these headphones can get very loud and do the job it's supposed to do; produce sound. It's not absolutely terrible quality, but compared to low-priced earphones such as the Radius Atomic Bass earphones, the MyVu integrated earphones are blown away. Besides the bass, the high-pitched sounds such as a missle whizzing by, are not too strong of a sound. You may not notice anything bad about them, but it depends what kind of earphones you've listened to (I've listened to a huge variety of earphones). Lastly, I really wish the iPod allowed you to listen to muisic with the built-in earphones. The goggles will only see the iPod as "exisisting" if there is a video file being played.

The last thing I will be talking about is comfort. The nose piece is extremely comfortable, and it barely even feels like it's there. It is even adjustable, just in case you don't like the pre-set position. The goggles do not bend or twist around if you move your head, unless the wire is stuck and the goggles move. The temples of the goggles go perfectly around my ear, since they are pretty thin. Also, the earphones are very good in the category of comfort. When I put on the earphones for the first time, they kept falling out. But thanks to the different sized pieces, I tried the large and they fit perfectly. They didn't hurt, or even stretch out my ear - it's a very great part of the product! Also, for all of you people wondering, "Do you get eyestrain?" Well, I say no! I'm on the computer a lot, so it's almost impossible for me to get eyestrain. All I can say is that after watching a video for a while, and you switch back to reality, your eyes will most likely hurt for a couple of minutes.

Conclusion

These goggles have a decent sized screen. Like I had said, its basically like holding an iPod Classic about 1 foot in front of you. iPod Touch screens are bigger than the scaled screen inside the goggles, so why would you need to downgrade to a lower screen? I like them for the "cool-factor", and the fact that it's nice and dark inside the goggles, letting all the attention set to the screen and not the things moving around you. If you have an iPod Classic, it's the equivilent screen size, but is definitely worth it to buy. If you have an iPod Nano, well, then these are definitely for you. They are very well built, and I don't really expect them to break unless you forcefully bend the plastic material. The audio is O.K., but they could have done a lot better. It does come with a ton of cables, which gives the product compatibility for basically everything.

Pros:

* Decent Screen Size
    * Built-In Earphones
    * Tons of Compatibility
    * Comes with other accessories
    * Very comfortable
    * Durable Goggle Cable
    * Lightweight and Slim

Cons:

* Audio is not too great
    * 3 hour charge time
    * Flimsy Audio Cables
    * No Included Wall Adapter
    * iPod must be unlocked for volume control

In my opinion, I think these goggles are worth it for the $125, only if you have an iPod compatible with the goggles besides the iPod Touch. The iPod Touch can view movies at a higher scale of perception, and is not for those iPod Touch users. But, if you like watching it like you're in a movie theater, even if it is a bit smaller, then I say go for it and buy yourself a pair of these goggles!
  2. reaper00004

reaper00004 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Plus you look like that guy from Star Trek

Seriously, those look good
  3. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    wtf no charger?
  4. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    lol there's a USB charge cable ^_^
  5. elamre

elamre Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

what about the ipod touch? worth the buy?
  6. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    For the cool factor? Yes. For actual use? Well that's really up to you. It's nice to have when you're watching a movie, or waiting at the airport. It can be pretty annoying when other people look at your screen...