Myst

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by simon1989, Nov 28, 2007.

1. simon1989

simon1989 New Member

I would just like to know how hard would it be to port a game like Myst on Ipod Touch, considering it's a really simple game that requires little graphic power. This is not a request, but just a question i've been asking myself all day.

What are the limitations of the Ipod Touch ?
  2. therobinsonator

therobinsonator New Member

people are saying no ds emuator so ipod cannot nearly handle that
  3. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You're comparing apples and oranges here. The DS uses two processors, that's why it couldn't be emulated.

Seeing as how many Lucasarts point and clicks are able to run (through ScummVM), I'd say that it wouldn't be impossible.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

It's not impossible. Both Myst and Riven were ported (in scaled down versions) to PocketPC. I've played Myst. It's really scaled down (lower resolution, tons of frames of FMV dropped) but it works just fine. I'm sure it's more than possible on the Touch. Realistically, the game engine is extremely elemental. 99.99% of the game is fullmotion video. The rest is a really simple point-and-click interface with some animation code and game logic.
  5. simon1989

simon1989 New Member

Yeah, it doesnt have anything to do with DS, brother.

But, yeah, Myst does have better graphic than most LucasArts games, but I dont think it requires a 3D chip or anything. Anyway, anybody knows how hard it would be to code ?
  6. simon1989

simon1989 New Member

Woah, thanks for the quick replys. I'm checking these links right and i'll try to gather as much information as I can. Playing Myst or Riven on my Touch... god, that would be sweet.
  7. tag009

tag009 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ya! Mist would be awsome on the touch! I think it would be easier just to port it for scummvm though.
  8. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

You can't "port it for scummvm" because scummvm is just an interpreter. It interprets already-made commercial games that were made with the same engine.
  9. tag009

tag009 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    dang, oh well. I thought the scummvm people were making it more compatible with other games, but I guess its just the Lucas arts games
  10. Phreaky_McGeek

Phreaky_McGeek New Member

For some reason I was lead to believe that Myst was built on low-res Quicktime files. Just makes me wonder why it would require so much power.