Myst on ipod touch!!>??!?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by acidburnwolf, Mar 17, 2008.

1. acidburnwolf

acidburnwolf Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    After taking a look at a new app i found, cubeworld in which u are able to view 360 Degrees photos, I tought at the myst game, and... donno, could it be ported on the ipod touch? it's 3d but not really. I mean.. u just.. walk around in some sort of movie, or a panoramic photograph, google it, and u will understand, it would be tremendous!!!!
  2. 16gbofmagic.

16gbofmagic. New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Myst used to be sick. Ported to the ipod, that's all I would do.
  3. LyncHung

LyncHung New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    myst was rendered from an original 3d world into a bunch of 2d images and some small mpeg animations. the interface of the game made it appear that everytime you clicked a direction that you were walking there, but all the game was doing was loading the next image. the concept is so simple it could be done on any platform.
  4. KingOfWar

KingOfWar New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Whats cubeworlds repo?
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

It's already been done for Windows Mobile -- both Myst and Riven were ported. They're scaled down and much of the animation has been removed to cut down on size, but there they are. The Touch should be able to do that in its sleep.

Maybe I should find out if Mean Hamster have themselves an iPhone and the SDK yet...

Incidentally, most of Myst was full-motion video (PICS animation format, rendered in Adobe Premiere); only a small portion of it was comprised of still images. (realMyst however was a 3D polygon version of Myst. The 3D engine was crap though.)
  6. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
  7. batmania15

batmania15 New Member

myst is a great idea

there was a knock off of it already in a webapp that was listed on apples web apps but it was only 1 level and simple but was the same idea and that was fun the 2 minutes it lasted
  8. chafe233

chafe233 New Member

As much as I still love Myst and its many sequels, I think I would prefer a graphic engine that takes advantage of all of the touch's capabilities and wouldnt be troubled by the tiny screen. The later games used 360 views and clickable hotspots like a QTVR movie, which might or might not work well here.

The fun of the first playthough of Myst, after all, was to dawdle around. I think a simple port of Myst or Riven would strip away all the detail that makes the game worth playing.

That said, I could use a adventure / puzzle game on my iPod touch. Something the touch is more geared toward.
  9. plokiju

plokiju New Member