My touchmod headset has horrible sound quality. Am I alone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by mrugly, May 17, 2008.

1. mrugly

mrugly New Member

First off, it works. All of the functions that the team at touchmods have demonstrated, work. The problem however, is with the sound quality coming from the ear buds. The sound is distorted, with everything sounding low and muddled. It makes my cheapest headphones (priced at $10 US), sound amazing in comparison. I've sent an email to Ridax to see if I can exchange my pair for a new one, because it sounds horrible. Is anyone else having the same experience?
  2. ridax

ridax New Member

So if your $10 sounds so amazing, why you don't just solder them to the headset instead... About the sound, there are many different opinions on what good sound should be. Some ppl want bass that is overwhelming and leaves no room for anything else. Others dislike this totally.

Of course I can't know if there is anything wrong with your set, or if you just don't like the sound response that these earsets have. Some have said it is a very good sound, others are less happy with the sound. I knew this would happen, and it doesn't matter so much whatever headsets you get, you will always get some ppl that like it and others that don't.

This is the very reason I offered the "pigtail" headset adapter as well, and if you feel sound quality is so important for you, you should have selected this option to pair it with a headset you know you like.

I have made a description at http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/makepig.htm on how you convert your headset into a pigtail adapter instead and offering anyone that doesn't like the sound from the headset to exchange the headset part for a connector.

If you are convinced that there is really something wrong with your headset, you can of course send it in for exchange/repair, but if there is nothing wrong with it, you will need to cover return shipping.
  3. mrugly

mrugly New Member

Not to turn this into a flame war, but I wasn't trying to insult you or the headset when I compared it to a cheap pair I have. I was simply trying to illustrate the sound quality that was being produced by them. The sound distorts when raised to the midway mark, and the left channel (earbud) is noticeably lower than the right channel (earbud). Also, it truly does sound like the music is being played through a funnel, that leads to my ears. I'm not picky when it comes to headphones, so I was really surprised and thought that something was wrong with my pair.

I responded to your email as well and I will send them back for you to inspect. What address do I send them to?
  4. ridax

ridax New Member

Well, I feel that if you have issues and have email communication with me, you should not at the same time do the communication through the forums. It is not meaningful. And you are not very good at describing what is wrong. The first emai just said "the sound quaity is bad"... Of course I can not know from this if it is just "normal bad" or broken in any way.

And you haven't told me if your observations are based on your use together with SIP application or when playing iPod music.
  5. mrugly

mrugly New Member

Ok...

Seeing as how you make it a point to continue to reply in this thread, I'll do the same and reply to you here as well via email. I understand that you're trying to do some "damage control" so that no one perceives your product as being defective. I'm not even implying that. I'm just suggesting that a few may have come "unglued" during transport, with mine being one of them.

I don't know what else to say in terms of describing my experience with the headphones. Ever since my first email, I have said that the sound is low and muddled. This means that the sound is very low, and a bit hard to make out. My left earbud, does not produce sound at the same volume as my right earbud. There is also a noticeable degree of distortion when I have the volume raised about halfway. You told me in the email, that its at maximum when its in the middle of the bar. No, its not. It is clearly not at full volume, and its distorting. When I do raise the volume all the way, all songs are unlistenable.

Is that descriptive enough? I'm not trying to be rude, nor am I trying to flame, I'm just trying to convey the simple message that there is something wrong with my pair. I'm shipping it back on Monday, so then you'll be able to inspect further.
  6. frnkyn

frnkyn Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    some1 lock this crap up
  7. ridax

ridax New Member

I am not doing any "damage control". There is no need to do so. If I had worried about this in any way, I wouldn't have sent out 300 emails warning about issues with the first headsets sent out. Of course I am sorry if some of the headsets shipped does not work and I try to help everyone that have any problems with it. I simply responded to your post here and as you don't use the same name here as in your email conversation, I didn't know if I had received your email and responded to it, as your first message sounded as you hadn't got any response (which was false).

What I *DO* mind, is that you at the same time as I am trying to sort this up with you on email, you also are communicating over different forums and copy forum messages between different sites. I don't see the sense of that. If one of the forums you posted in, you could have read clearly that many people were satisfied with the headsets AND the sound quality. Then if you really suffer from serious sound problems, I guess you could conclude by yourself if your headset is broken or not. As *I* can't hear your headsets, I can't do this judgement as easily as you can.

What I *DO* see the sense in, is that you answer the questions that I ask, but this you don't. You still haven't answered if you are doing these observations based on the SIP application or listening to iPod music. Everyone that knows the SIP application, realize that this information is vital for deciding on if your issues with sound in one earpiece, distorted sound, and very low sound that you reported. How am I supposed to be able to sort it out, when you don't care to read my messages and answer them?

You may feel you described the sound in "detail", but it means nothing to me. Maybe you know exactly what it means when the sound is played through a tunnel, but I can't remember when I last heared music through a tunnel, so it doesn't convey anything special to me. Does it mean there is echo or what sound artifact does it mean?

And about the "maximum sound level"... As I have written the software that controls the volume and that controls the iPod, I believe I know better how it is working and you should believe me. The headset is at maximum sound level long before the indicator is to the far right, but rather when the indicator is at about middle, the headset has reached its maximum.

In your email you made a point of making fun of this, but I don't see why it should be that hard to understand. Most cars have speedometers and rpm-meters that go up to much higher values than the car itself can produce.

The headset has intentionally been volume limited, so it will refuse to produce at its real maximum, as those volumes are not reasonable and wouldn't sound that good anyhow.
  8. mrugly

mrugly New Member

-Ok, in my first post here, I had not gotten a response from you because I had just sent the email. I didn't make fun of the volume in my email, I was just questioning your claim. I did say that I was having this experience while listening to music when I mentioned how the distortion and volume made the songs unlistenable, when turned to its highest level. The sound quality in the SIP app is the same, but I really didn't worry about that too much since I don't use it too often. All through out, I've been talking about the music's quality.

-The tunnel analogy seems to have been lost on you, so I'll clarify: it sounds hollow, like a tunnel. To clarify hollow, the highs are nonexistent, the mids are too high, and the lows are at a minimum. What does that mean? There isn't an echo. There is no dynamic range. It sounds hollow. You'll see when you get it.

-The only forum I've posted my inquiry, is this forum. I've also posted it on the touchmods site (in the comments section of a blog update) because I saw that others had received their mics, based on their comments.

I'm done. I expect you to twist my words again in your reply, but I'm burnt out and wont even attempt to respond.
  9. jlb8soccer

jlb8soccer Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Not to be rude Ridax, but if your going to be a company, you really can't antagonize customers, you need to be as polite as possible even if they piss the hell out of you.
  10. 95-civic

95-civic New Member

love my headset

Hey just wanted to let you know I love my headset. I typicaly hate ear buds but these things are comfortable and actually stay in my ears. As for the sound quality I think it sounds great, the acoustic eq setting also seems to be a perfect match for it. Mic quality seems top notch with vnotes haven't used voip yet gonna sign up for something soon.
    thanks again this thing is awesome