My "Touch"ing story

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Harley13, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Harley13

Harley13 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I couldn't help the title. Here is my story.
    I bought an iPod Touch (32 gb) about a month ago. I put some music and photos on it then I put some movies on it. I converted the movies to mpeg4 format using various converters, some worked better than others. Shortly after I got it the Touch started resetting itself once in a while. During the past couple weeks the resetting has gotten worse.
    I listen to music and it will just shut off sometimes. Other times it will shut off and reset.
    When I look at photos, it will just reset anytime it feels like it.
    When I watch a movie it resets quite often.
    Sometimes I turn it on and it resets, I turn it off and it resets. I connect or disconnect from iTunes and it resets. I think you get the picture. I do eject it before disconnecting it from iTunes and the computer, it doesn't seem to matter if I disconnect or not.
    I have tried restoring it without removing the content and I have restored it by removing the content, nothing helps.
    It doesn't do the reset thing all the time but it does happen about three or four times a day, sometimes more. I noticed also that the back of the Touch gets warm, not hot but warm. This might be normal I don't know. I can't restore it through iTunes because I work in Haiti and we don't have a good internet connection and it is a company computer and when I try to restore it says can't find server and ensure settings are correct.
    I will be going home to Canada for a holiday at the end of July so will probably exchange it for a new one.
    What do you guys think? Is it necessary to exchange it? For your information I haven't jailbroken it or tampered with it in any way.
    Thanks for any advice.
  2. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I really don't know what the problem could be, but you could try to go to

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset all Settings

That helps sometimes, but then ALL of your settings will be gone. (also Wi-Fi passwords, etc), not your media though.

One advantage, other than skinning, 3rd party apps, etc, of jailbreaking is that it opens up the system, opening up possibilities to look at crash dumps better and look into the system files to see what's going on. That saved my iPod's ass sometimes ;-)
  3. C000LIN

C000LIN New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you should set it back on regular 1.1.4 fw and take it to the apple store, if you have the coverage plan or whatever they will replace it.
  4. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    yea pretty much, you're just gonna have to restore it when you get home.

and yay haiti, my dad grew up in haiti!!! so i'm half haitian
  5. Harley13

Harley13 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I will have to wait until I get back to Canada.
    Yes, I have been working in Haiti for four years and have one more year to go. I guess I am the oldest guy on this forum, 59 yrs. Time to retire.
    Thanks all for helpint the old fart out. LOL!