My Top 10 Horror Movies (aka the ramblings of a horror fan)

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by Distortion, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Distortion

Distortion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I don't claim to be an expert on horror movies, but i'm certainly a fan and have compiled a top 10 for my hobby. So here it is, my top 10:

10.) Army of Darkness (Directed by Sam Raimi)
    A classic mixture of gore, comedy, and overall greatness. Bruce Cambell is one of my favorite horror movie actors and his personality shows up in this movie more so than in the previous two Evil Dead movies. I give it 7 Necronomicons out of 10.

9.) The Thing (1982) (Directed by John Carpenter)
    Another classic and one of the best remakes in horror movie history. The scenery and location of this film add a distinctive chill to the plot. I give it 8.5 mutant dogs out of 10.

8.) Braindead (aka Dead Alive) (Directed by Peter Jackson)
    I had to include this one, as it is one of the goriest movies I have ever seen, the MPAA gave it an R rating for "an abundance of outrageous gore." THAT is the characteristic of a good movie in itself, but the movie would be great without the 20 gallons of fake blood used as well. I would suggest this to people with a strong stomach only! I give it 8.5 Sumatran Rat-Monkeys out of 10.

7.) Frailty (Directed by Bill Paxton)
    A great plot with a Shyamalan-like twist, only better. Leads you to an undeniable conclusion, then blows your mind! Now that is what every movie should do. Keep an open mind while watching. Keeps you on the edge of your seat! I give it 9.5 God's Hand killers out of 10.

6.) IT (Directed by Tommy Lee Wallace)
    I know I will get some criticism for including this, but I really like IT and personally find it terrifying. I will never feel the same about circuses or clowns again. I give it 8 blood-filled balloons out of 10.

5.) The Exorcist (Directed by William Friedkin)
    A lot of people might feel that this movie should be number one, but in my mind, it is far from it. Don't get me wrong it is a very good movie, and inspired a whole new generation of possession horror films, but it has been over rated immensely. Anyway, back to the movie. Good special effects (Remember kids, no CGI back then), good acting and a good plot make this movie a horror landmark. I give it 9 vomit covered priests out of 10.

4.) The Birds (Directed by Alfred Hitchc*ck)
    Another animal horror movie. What is more terrifying than the same birds that crap on your car, pecking the eyes out of people? In my mind, a perfect horror movie. I give it 10 eyeless British school children out of 10.

3.) Jaws (Directed by Steven Spielberg)
    The classic that probably inspired Shark Week, so It is pretty sweet. High Suspense and action throughout the whole movie, how could you not love a huge shark eating people? That's every child's dream! And of course, some of the best movie explosions ever. I give it 9 Half eaten surfers out of 10.

2.) Evil Dead II (Directed by Sam Raimi)
    Demented horror at its best. Bruce Campbell plays Ash, a no-bullsh*t modern warrior with a chainsaw and a shotgun. One of those few movies I could watch again and again. Awesome claymation scenes and ending. I definitely suggest this movie to anyone who enjoyed the previous movies. I give it 9.7 Clay-mation Demons out of 10.

1.) The Shining (Directed by Stanley Kubrick)
    A psychological film that truly deserves the coveted #1 spot. Jack Nicholson was so realistic as Jack Torrance, that I believe that he had some experience brandishing an axe prior to the film. Cheap scares throughout, so be ready for some black screens with the days of the week on them and a loud noise. I give it 10 ("All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy")s out of 10.

Well thanks for reading the ramblings of a crazy horror fan. Please take some time out and watch some of the movies on this list.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Nice list, I've only heard of a few of them (IT, The Shining, Jaws, The Birds, The Exorcist) though. Personally, I've never found Stephen King's work that scary. I watched IT and The Shining, thinking they were scary, but wasn't that scared. Maybe the books are scarier though

3. Distortion

Distortion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I saw IT as a child and it freaked me out, maybe thats why I still think its demented

Haven't seen it in a while though
  4. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How about Paranormal Activity? I myself haven't seen it, but some people claim "It's the scariest movie evar!!1!1"
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    The Shining is a work of art. Even better when I saw it on Blu-ray.
  6. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    No. It's not as "scary" as the rumors have said. The movie relies on the viewer expecting something to happen and experiencing a sense of anxiety, which causes a natural vulnerability to cheap tricks like random sounds, doors slamming, etc. If you watch the movie anywhere but in a true theater setting, you'll be bored, as I was.

Not a bad list. The Shining is pure brilliance. Easily the best of your ten, I agree.
  7. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Paranormal Activity wasn't scary in any part what so ever, people are such babies that say it is. I am glad Paranormal Activity wasn't in this list.
  8. Distortion

Distortion New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Strictly Classics as it should be

9. solidness

solidness Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hmm, I like the way you're thinking.
  10. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    the best horrors in my opinion are foreign horrors, such as 'Them' (the one where the couple get attacked at their home), The Spanish original of .Rec (forgot the name, or is the spanish version .rec?)

Even the Japanese rings scared me a little (even though they were kinda dated and old) lol

All these american remakes and stuff are just blood and guts and arnt scary lol.