My thoughts on "the future"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Whosthatrandom, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

Well, I have a few thoughts regarding the SDK and the future of jailbreaking, which I'd like to share.

First of all, I think jailbreaking will always exist, if at all possible. It is not a matter of the Official Third-Party Apps (putting aside the contradiction in that statement) being better or worse, but a matter of choice. If we can still jailbreak, why not? We have nothing to lose by having two entirely different sources for native apps.

Second of all, something that I don't see that anyone else has mentioned (but I'm saying this without having first read through every single thread...) is that it is perfectly feasible that people will download the SDK, write applications with it, then release them via Installer. The advantages for the developer of doing this is that they won't have to pay $99 for an app that they aren't charging for, and they will have the choice to make anything they want, even things such as SIM Unlocks that are frowned upon by Apple. Therefore, the overall quality of apps available from Installer and Cydia will increase tremendously; as long as a Dev has Leopard, he can access the complete set of resources that are available.

Thirdly, I for one think that a jailbreak for the 2.0 firmware is very possible. It is worth noting that Apple did not patch the ZiPhone exploit; perhaps they can't! Unlike other jailbreak methods, it doesn't exploit the actual firmware, it just hacks it's way in from recovery mode, using a weakness in the bootloader. Sounds like something that is hard to patch, in my opinion.

Any thoughts?
  2. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I Agree with you man
  3. touchey

touchey New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    wouldn't it be easier to just duplicate the installer that apple uses but point it to the sources that we use now - then anytime there is a new release, we no longer have to RE-jailbreak, just re-load our apps.
  4. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

oh nice you're from Wales also

Please Register or Log in to view images

yeah maybe someone will find a way to get sources show up in the AppStore, or vice versa lol that'd be cool
  5. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

Yeah, I suppose that if the Youtube and Music Apps can be "copied" to make MxTube and TuneWiki respectively, then the same could be done for Apple's App Store. On the other hand, there is a lot going for Installer, and more recently Cydia, as while they are not shiny and perfect like Apple applications, they are certainly packed with advanced features. Really, only time will tell which system will come out on top.

@ur_so_beautiful: Yup

Please Register or Log in to view images

There's about half a dozen Welshies here? Siarad yn Cymraeg?