My thoughts on textbooks on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bgizzle, Apr 8, 2010.

1. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    As some of you know, I'm a student currently, and as such I could shed a bit of light on an application of the iPad that a lot of people have talked about but not much has come of yet. I actually received a question via PM, and I've decided to reprint my answer publicly so that it can hopefully help other people as well.

Hey, no textbooks for sale that i've seen yet, but stanford has site licenses for pdf ebooks of some of the computer science texts that i needed this quarter, and when combined with a 99 cent app called "GoodReader" that has a great interface and stability for large PDFs, I no longer have to print hundreds of pages (or buy a book that my tuition money has already contributed to licensing a digital copy of). I've read hundreds of pages of a textbook so far and the experience has been great!
  2. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Cool they'll probs strt bringing stuff out soon but I guess that's a good alternative for now.
  3. Saerian

Saerian Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I did the same thing last night ... I downloaded GoodReader and loaded up a bunch of my A+/Security+/Network+ certification pdf books and they it looks absolutely amazing. Now I can read them in a more comfortable format instead of sitting at my desk and reading it off the screen.
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The entire state of Texas is seriously considering stopping buying textbooks in favor of e-books and e-book readers. I suppose (if the device gets good textbook support) that the iPad is a viable option.
  5. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It would be even better if you converted those PDFs into ePub files and put those into iBooks.
  6. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I second bgizzle about goodreader. I started converting my PDF books to epub with calibre, but calibre does a poor job with diagrams or programming books.
    Since I found goodreader I'm only using this now. No need to convert all my library and you can even search for PDF online, sync with mobile me and dropbox.
  7. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Epub2Go is much better than calibre. That's what my friend uses on his iPad and it works great with every book he's tried so far.
  8. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Apple should uses iTunes U to market textbooks.