iOS 4.0 My theory about iOS 4 being slow on iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Badd_Blood, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Badd_Blood

Badd_Blood Well-Known Member

I have a theory about why iOS 4 is slow on the iPhone 3G...Many users have been seeing slow performance. I even made a spreadsheet of the app launch times in iOS 4 vs. 3.1.2.

I believe Apple purposely made this software update slow for the 3G users for 2 reasons...

1. Users would think their device is slow and old and want to update to a newer iPhone, not releasing their device was faster before.

2. Apple wanted to leave out iOS 4 features because they "slow down performance" but really I think the software slowed down the performance and some features could of been included.

They will most likely fix the issue in 4.1 (after users of 3G's had time to upgrade their phones)... Just as Steve want's...

Tell me what YOU think below

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    iOS 4 has much more features than iOS 3, this means that more processes are loaded in RAM and CPU. Having low RAM can cause the device to be slow, especially when someone has 50+ apps and games installed.

That's what I think

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I dont think its that much of a conspiracy, I just think its Wifi issues
  4. Badd_Blood

Badd_Blood Well-Known Member

But its slow even if there is nothing on it and you did a fresh restore.
  5. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Apple noticed that and it said on the front page they were going to fix it in a later release.
  6. metalmilitia

metalmilitia Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I believe this correct. Good thinking
  7. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iOS4 is slower because it has more stuff in it. It's nothing to do with Apple wanting people to upgrade there devices.
  8. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Yeah, supposedly, it has many more services running in the background. On iPhone 3G and below, these services are deliberately disabled for performance purposes, obviously, but it seems that even though they were disabled, apps would still ask the system if those services were running or not, and the asking part would actually take longer than if the app would just shut down immediately. Same thing with starting up, apps would ask if they were supposed to pass anything onto another process, but since no other process were enabled, and the system didn't want to answer immediately, it would take a long time to load.

Nothing related to RAM there. Just the CPU...

Edit: oh, and iOS 4.1 fixed it... so come the release of 4.1, this'll be a thing of the past.
  9. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    It has to do with RAM too, because with a fresh install of 4.0 on 3G it has about 20mb ram left..
  10. bahamutspirit

bahamutspirit New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    That's not a problem at all since iOS will automatically shut down processes and give the currently running app more RAM when you launch it. The mentality of more RAM = better is only applicable to PC where all apps are running in the background and asking for some RAM of sort, and when it runs out of RAM, it dumps to the swap file, causing slow down while the swap file is being processed. On iOS, only system processes and the currently running app should be running, and swap file doesn't exist, unless you install one of those virtual memory mods...

Just like the iPhone 4 has twice the amount of RAM the iPad or iPhone 3GS has, but it's not faster than the iPad, and it's only faster than iPhone 3GS because it has a faster CPU.