My take on Apple and the Flash situation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zc456, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Zc456

Zc456 Member

This is not a Adobe vs Apple thread nor does it involve any ranting. This my take on the whole situation. I just wanted to get this off my chest, and yes its a wall-of-text.

1. Why is not the iPad?

They're two reasons. First, its the iPhone OS. Can't get anymore obvious then that.

The second is Adobe's track record of Flash on Mac OS X. Sure it works on Windows; then again Adobe has been favoring Windows for a while, I mean they we're late on making universal versions of they're apps for Intel Macs. That could have easily been solved with a simple patch. Now the iPhone OS uses a great deal of code from OS X, we found this out this out when Leopard got delayed. Since Flash t crashes a lot, Apple had to do they're part to make sure it happens less with Snow Leopard and Safari 4 by letting the plugin crash, instead of the browser. Google though of it first, with Chrome, so its nice Apple adapted it.

Apple can't fix Adobe's problem (why should they?). The only reason they can't is because its Proprietary Software, ie. not Open Source. So even if they wanted to, they couldn't.

Of course, these crashes aren't just limited to just the Mac. No OS is perfect. You'd be foolish to think so.

2. Apple is greedy. They know Flash would hurt they're business .

Short answer:
    WRONG!

Long answer: Wrong! If Flash put a dent in they're Apps business, then all that pirated media on your iPod would have already put iTunes out of business a loong time. In fact its that whole scenario is flawed, period. Are Apple greedy bastards? Maybe. Then again, so is EVERY OTHER CORPORATION.

2.1 Hulu (and other video streaming services)

Hulu has been out for ages on the web, the iTunes Store would have been long gone by now. If you go by that logic, they would be no entertainment industry. Further more, Hulu just makes you want to buy it even more (physical or digital) since its just being streamed.

Same can easily be applied to radio.

2.2 Flash Games

Flash games are never as good as the native thing, in my opinion. They're fun and all but 98% of them arn't designed for touchscreen devices. Just like putting Windows (or OS X) on a tablet, most we're meant for the keyboard and/or mouse. NOT FINGERS. You also gotta worry about native support, since every browser is different. For example, to bring up the keyboard on the iPhone may not work the same Android, ect. So aside from point & click games and maybe a few that require mouse only, your pretty much out of luck.

5. Is there any work around?

Two. You can jailbreak the damn thing, and shut up. Or wait for Adobe to release Flash Pro CS and wait for developers to get they're hands on it. In Flash Pro CS5, when your done with your project, simply export/compile the finished product in .ipa format. Its being tested on in Adobe's labs right now.

4. I DON'T CARE! I HATE THE IPAD!!! YOUR NOTHING BUT A FANBIO SUCKING UP TO APPLE!!!

Don't want it? Don't buy it. That simple.

I'd say more but really they're really isn't anymore to say. Flash isn't that big of a deal to me. Just tired of people b*tching about it. I'm aware my opinions may not be totally bullet proof.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Another thing. As closed as Apple is, they take on, support, develop and use quite a lot of open standards, apps, and protocols.
  3. Aznr00t

Aznr00t New Member

i agree.
  4. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Flash games are usually simple in concept with a very limited number of keys. Mostly just the left, right, up, down (the arrows). More complex ones have additional keys such as Z, X, C or Space, Ctrl, Shift.

The arrows could be simulated with vertical and horizontal swipes and the rest could be mapped. For instance one tap is Ctrl, two taps is Shift. I mean, it's supposed to support gestures, right ? With 10 fingers at a time I'm sure the geniuses at Apple could've thought something up. Or simply draggable, transparent, buttons which you could drag to a corner or somewhere you don't need on the screen.

If they're so worried about closed sources why don't they make a deal, sign a non-disclosure contract and let Apple have part of the source code that can VIEW Flash content (but not CREATE) ? Isn't Adobe's intention to promote Flash to as many sites as possible ? Last I checked a license from Adobe for developing such content wasn't cheap.
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I just wanna watch my pr0ns while I'm in a meeting at work is all.

Jk, I don't do meetings anymore

Please Register or Log in to view images

Why can't apple just satisfy everyone and add a toggle in settings to enable or install flash? Just add a disclaimer telling the user all the downsides of it. Problem solved. While they are at it, add a toggle to side load apps. With a disclaimer. Void the warranty, I don't care.

I understand apples reasoning for no flash and a locked down system, but, I don't give a sh*t! I want my cake damn it! I don't care how bad it is for me, it just taste so good. That's why I'm not getting an iTampon.
  6. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Ugh... Guys just let it rest.

Apple will sell these things. They will get even better in their second iteration (the second generation, if you will). They will become popular, though not as popular as an iPhone/ iPod touch.

And I will have a Nexus One and one of these...

(That's my current plan, anyways)
  7. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Your right, and I was trying to get everyone shut up about the hating the iPad (prior to this thread). I just wanted to get it off my chest. Sigh, if only this mid or early March that would have been nice.

I plan on getting an iPad along side either alongside current computer when it comes out. For web surfing, gaming, and work when not at my desk. I also plan on using it instead of a laptop when traveling.

8. evilish2236

evilish2236 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Dumbest idea ive ever heard of to be honest. Tap for control, double tap for shift. No idiot would in their right mind play such a stupid game.

For example many flash games utilize holding shift down, which through your take would be unplayable.

Apple is purposely leading away from flash because it is flawed, slow and overall a poor solution to HTML's lack of functionality for the past 12 years. HTML 5 has made up for some of that and already begun to be utilized in huge numbers by some huge sites such as hulu and youtube.

For apple to even consider putting flash on an iPad would be the dumbest move they could ever make and all they would have is a list of complaints larger than PETA activists the time Obama killed that fly on time and boosted about it.

Your opinion about the iPad is yours and yours only not to be criticism of anyone but if you believe the iPad is a bad buy leave it at that. Apple is just making the most efficient mobile device they can with as few as possible slow downs.

As well you're obviously a troll on this site since your comments are only suitable to inspire conflicts and are not very convincing by any means. The iPad is the pinnacle of media by today's standards because they kept a good idea simple without over complicating it with "10 finger gestures."
  9. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I agree with everything you have said.

Also, Spider, why the hell would you want to play Flash games on your iPad? They would be extremely hard to play.
  10. Doobie

Doobie New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    like it or not on a something that uses multimedia as a selling point, flash is pretty important.

you complain that flash crashes to much well i think your poistion is greatly exagerated, unless you have 5 full flash games open at the same time, then of course at a point it will crash. but uder normal circumstances flash is well stable.

- Ive never had flash crash on me while watching youtube videos or movies online

- Ive never had flash crash on me while playing games (one at a time) from safe sites such as addictinggames or miniclip.

if flash crashes on you constantly, its your computer or web browser that is the problem, cause there wouldnt be full flash sites if the thing was unstable..

people are ready to play the N64 on their Iphones, the ipad has more then enough screen space to just have the ons-screen keyboard and the flash game on at the same time..

the only reason apple has refused flash on their device is to promote their own stupid quicktime plugin which crashes by far more then flash.