My Stance on Linux and the iPod

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by Videofolife13, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Videofolife13

Videofolife13 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Okay, so now we have Linux. Great. But now what. let's look at it realistically.

Nothing is supported/written for the version of Linux they released, it's really nothing more than a command line. Sure, we have a FANTASTIC proof of concept, but the practical use for the normal user is far and few. So, how long until we have a real GUI or a real environment that a normal user can use?

I'm not saying, by any means, that this project is stupid, impossible, improbable, or by any means a waste of time. What I am saying is that we get a nice preview today, and within a month or so, maybe we can get a bad userland working, and then give it another month or so, before we get an actual GUI that normal users can use.

But, to the original reason I wrote this post, I think that EVERYONE should install iBoot. Haha, this doesn't relate to what I rote, but whatever. iBoot, if I'm not mistaken, will make it INFINITELY easier to install iPhone Linux when it is running and stable. What I mean to say is, install what they have now, and then it should be easy to update when the, what I'll call, real thing comes out. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Great job getting Linux up and running. It's a long time coming, and I hope that the next few months will make it worth the wait.

-Video
  2. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes drivers are needed and still need time :> but Android project is a key, see 2 things:

1. Drivers for some "chips" in iPhone might be created in time by Android officials

Please Register or Log in to view images

2.UI?

Please Register or Log in to view images

We can try to un Android ^^ we just need Touch screen (it's simple IO so it hope that it work fast) and GPU driver for this for minimal use and iPhone got popular PowerVG, so it's meaning of time
  3. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Please get out if you're not here to discuss "iPod Touch or iPhone Linux."
  4. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    You missed a point, Android running on Linux. Possibility of running linux kernel on device = possibility of running Android on device.

See by yourself: http://source.android.com
  5. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

right now its simply a proof of concept that they got out there so others can load up and start working as well, thats what linux is, open source.

Now that its started Id expect great things by 6 months from now.
  6. Shadowriver

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yea i think it will take half-year too
  7. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    Let's take your own logic, and reverse it.

Possibility of running Linux kernel on device = Possibility of running any system on device.

Who cares about Android? What features does it have that can't be easily programmed (or have not already been programmed - considering Linux has well over 60,000 packages) for Linux?
  8. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    what people dont see, is that yeah its possible. but seriously it wont be usable any time soon. The easy part about jailbreaking was that it was still running mobile OS X. This is a WHOLE operating system that needs to be built. It was much easier on the old ipods, and that required very little input. This requires a whole touch screen to be supported. Then wifi, and really the only native input as of now is the home and sleep buttons. Finally, when thats all done and good, there will need to be developers to make apps. Sure it will be nice to make something that doesnt require to stick by apple standards, most of which we have already passed by. So whats the potential on developing apps when most are already available? And finally, how many noobs and people who dont know linux will be able to install anything? There will need to be some kind of package manager like cydia and installer is now. I mean could you see now installing all of your apps through apt-get commands?

/rant

Sorry but basically what im saying is this is just the first step... off of a long journey. Sure its cool, but at this point its virtually unusable.
  9. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

Device:
    iPod touch
    Are you a fool? Cydia is apt-get with a Graphical User Interface.
  10. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    EXACTLY. Most people dont know how to use apt-get commands without an interface that can show them what to do. Would you know how to install all the apps you have? using packages like com.XXXXXX.XXXX