My review of The Resistance by Muse

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by juliust71, Sep 14, 2009.

1. juliust71

juliust71 New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    amm i was gonna give you the link to my blog, but i don't think that's allowed, so i will put it here

Please Register or Log in to view images

This is not a professional review, it’s just a review from a great Muse fan, and that’s it, I hope you enjoy it.

Let’s start from the art box, I like it really much, it’s strange –but tell me, which muse’s album art box hasn’t been? – It depicts a ¿person? landing on earth, as if it were descending from a spaceship, really odd…

Please Register or Log in to view images

Then, we have the track list, at first when I only saw 11 tracks, I thought they were not enough to satisfy my new-music-hunger, of course I ate my words later, the track listing goes:

1. Uprising

2. The Resistance

3. Undisclosed Desires

4. United States of Eurasia (+Collateral Damage)

5. Guiding Light

6. Unnatural Selection

7. MK Ultra

8. I Belong To You (+Mon Coeur S’ouvre a Ta Voix)

9. Exogenesis : Symphony Part 1 (Overture)

10. Exogenesis : Symphony Part 2 (Cross-Pollination)

11. Exogenesis : Symphony Part 3 (Redemption)

And that’s all you’ll need, eleven songs, a mix of rhythms, feelings, histories, but none of ‘em are unlinked from the album’s title, you can actually feel the evolution of the band through all its albums, but they have not lost their style, their touch.

Review of the songs after the break.

Now let’s talk about the songs, we should start from Uprising…

I won’t lie to you, when I first listened to Uprising, from website; I didn’t like it that much, it sounded as a made-for-the-masses-or-the-radio song, but c’mon, you can’t avoid getting caught into its sticky drumming.

According to Matt “This song [Uprising] is influenced by glam rock, 80’s synths, riots and the more eccentric protesters at the recent G20 protests. It expresses a general mistrust of bankers, global corporations and politicians.”

And you know what, he’s right –of course, he wrote the song- the repetitive chorus, the screaming and the drumming make you think of a protest… you don’t really need to pay attention to that, just listen to the lyrics, that’s it! After 20 times listening to it, I really loved it, it’s pure energy, it reminded me of Stockholm Syndrome and Supermassive Black Hole…

Next one is Resistance, this song at first I didn’t listen carefully to it, so I missed all the fun.

It begins with a windy sound, as if it were a desolate place, then the sticky drumming begins and Matt’s voice arises silently, exploding in the middle of the song by saying “Love is our resistance”…

According to Matt “This song started off as an extension of “Map of problematique” with a bit of influence from early “the police”. It is very much based on the love story from the book “1984″ bye George Orwell particularly the romance between Winston and Julia and the description of the act of sex and love as something political, the only place offering freedom from Big Brother. The song is also about any love which crosses boundaries such as religion or strong political beliefs and the subsequent recognition of the unimportance and divisiveness of such beliefs.”

Dang! I think I cannot explain it better than Matt, he said everything you need to know about this song, of course, listen to the lyrics carefully and you’ll know what he talks about.

I love the chorus saying “It could be wrong, could be wrong… but it should have been right” of course he talks about love and sex, and how sometimes religion interferes with it.

It reminded me, of course, Map of problematique.

It finishes in a big screaming “Resistaaaaaaance!!!” it gives me Goosebumps… J

Undisclosed Desires

“I want to satisfy the undisclosed desires from your heart…” god I love the way Matt sings that.

This song is awesome; I loved it from the very first time I listened to it. Is so sexy, mysterious, so secretive… Reminded me of Endlessly because of its lyrics, Hysteria for the emotion Matt puts into singin’ it and the tenderness of Unintended…

The song is bass-based, with a tranquil drumming.

According to Matt “This is something totally new for the band. It is influenced by contemporary R’n'B and a little of the David Bowie Album “Ashes to Ashes”. It’s a song about love and the dark secrets that lovers share”

I couldn’t agree more, it’s all about love, passion and lust…

You’ve gotta love it. I do.

United States of Eurasia (+Collateral Damage)

It was the first song I listened from this album, when we didn’t even know what the album was gonna be called, I really liked it, when I listened to it I though immediately of Queen, really! It sounds a lot like “Bohemian Rhapsody”. It ends with a really nice demonstration of Matt’s piano skills, which I have never questioned or doubted from.

According to Matt “Musically this is influenced by Ravel, Tchaikovsky and 1970’s song writing/string arrangements. The ending features Chopin’s ‘Nocturne, OP/9 NO/2′ with sound effects evoking innocence and then the military, towards the very end (A take on the term “Collateral Damage” –a cold term used by politicians and the media to trivialize the killing of completely innocent people in war). The song is from an imaginary musical about a “United States of Eurasia”, the search for peace and the accidental creation of a new super power challenging American primacy.”

Wow, this song has so much meaning, there’s not much I can say about it because it’s not my favorite.

Guiding Light

Guiding Light is not one of my favorite songs in this album, the rhythm is no distinctive, and begins really slow. It feels like a redone version of Falling Away with you… though towards the middle of the song, it has a nice guitar solo, which reminded me of Invincible.

According to Matt “This track is about a troubled relationship and is influenced by 1980’s cheesy stadium rock! There is a guitar solo with a deliberate screaming harmonic. These types of harmonics have been banned from rock music for at least 18 years, possibly longer.”

The lyrics won’t tell anything contrary to what mat did. Anyways I didn’t like that much this song. =\

Unnatural Selection

This song has Stockholm syndrome written all over, the lyrics sound like a rant.

It is fast-paced, a nice rhythm… getting calmed towards the middle of the song, hadn’t listened to it that much. I like the guitar solo in the middle part and hell, the last guitar riff is really aggressive but I liked it a lot.

According to Matt “This song is influenced by the book “black swan” which is basically a whinge about how we live in a “winner takes all” world I.E. those who do well take more and more and the losers have to settle for less and less. Amongst other things, the song is saying “if you can’t beat them, then join them.”

So, Unnatural Selection is about someone who disagrees with Darwin and the survival of the strongest.

MK Ultra

This has Cave and Stockholm Syndrome written all over, with a little Dead Star on it. It’s fast-paced, completely guitar-based, lyrics are awesome. The changing voice tone of Matt make of this song a hit!

Drumming is pretty aggressive also, it’s so Muse.

According to Matt “This song is about brain washing and the psychological manipulation that has been going on around the world, behind closed doors and via the media during 20th century”

Wow, I’m impressed by Matt’s political standing, I support him, and I love this song, I love its rhythm. It’s rock baby!

I Belong To You (+Mon Coeur S’ouvre a Ta Voix)

Réponds a ma tendresse !

This song has a nice style, from matt’s voice to the piano melody; you can imagine a 60’s scene with matt playing the piano in a bar. It’s very romantic. It includes an excerpt called “Mon cœur s’ouvre a ta voix” in which Matt sings in French, and you know, he is really good at it, at sometimes sounds a bit awkward, but he does the trick. This song is so lovely! At the end has a clarinet solo which sounds funny but it’s beautiful.

According to Matt “this song is influenced by silly circus sounds, “Sgt. Pepper’s”, “pet sounds” and a general “anything goes” approach to music. It is about feeling in debt or grateful to someone for being an inspiration for creating music. The middle is from the aria called “Mon cœur s’ouvre a ta voix” from the French opera “Samson and Delilah” composed by Camille Saint-Saens. The song features a bass clarinet solo which we wanted to sound like a theme tune from a children’s TV program featuring teddy bears in a garden.”

I don’t know what Matt said but, I think is a really romantic song… and I liked it : D

“I traveled half the world to say… I belong to you!”

Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1 (Overture), Part 2 (Cross-pollination), Part 3 (Rédemption)

If there is something this album is worth is Exogenesis, it’s three parts long, but c’mon they’re symphonies and we know how good Matt is at classical music and the like, read or listen to the lyrics you’ll see its resemblance to Sing For Absolution or Ruled By Secrecy and Apocalypse Please.

First let’s see what Matt says; “This is influenced by Rachmaninov, Richard Strauss, Chopin and Pink Floyd. It looks at the concept of Panspermia. It is a story of the humanity coming to an end and everyone pinning their hopes on a group of astronauts who go out to explore space and spread humanity to another planet. Part I is a jaded acceptance that civilization will end. Part 2 is a desperate hope that sending the astronauts to find and populate other planets will be successful alongside the recognition that this is the last hope. Finally, Part 3 is when the astronauts realize that this is just one big cycle and recognize that unless humanity can change it will happen all over again.”

Wow, if anyone remembers what Matt said about Absolution, it was this, how humans would react to the Apocalypse. If we get to put the puzzle together, might it be that those astronauts were the ones in Song for Absolution video?

The first part reminds me of Apocalypse Please, the second and part of the third one reminds me of SFA and Ruled by Secrecy.

The 1st part questions “Who are we? Where are we? Why are we in here?” and I think they might get to be the last question when everything ends, I mean, will everything end without us knowing why we were here? Ruled by secrecy talks about it, it says “no one knows who is in control” “you’re never in charge” besides talking about secrecy, it talks about us not knowing what we do here.

The 2nd part is what Matt says a desperate hope to be rescued, it says “spread our codes to the stars, you can rescue us all” everything is said with that. If you remember in SFA video they land to a planet in which The Big Ben is seen, it’s there where they realize it’s a cycle and the only way to stop it is if the humanity changes.

The last part is pretty much like the last verses of SFA, it talks about redemption an absolution, being forgiven for our mistakes, beginning again, promising to change, though we know that isn’t true…

The three parts are an excellent master piece which only Muse could have performed, I’m sure it was Matt’s idea. I love it! The album is worth just because these 3 songs… the 8 left songs are a bonus, really it’s just the 3 songs feel like an album.

To finalize I must admit it’s a great work from Muse, they didn’t let us down, they have evolved their sounds, their skills, but they still have the same versatility they’ve always had. Matt’s voice feels so much mature, and his lyrics-writing skills are awesome, he can talk in many senses, he’s the only one who understands what he meant when he wrote a song. This album might seem not polished, some might say it’s lame, it’s not muse or it’s dull… I disagree, this is a Muse album and I could say this is the best they’ve recorded, Muse has always been experimenting with sounds, and they’ve found the perfect formula, they’ve taken the best from their past albums and put it together to make “The Resistance”.

Muse has done it again, this time has created an album in which they explore their musical genius and manifest it through this colossal album, which is a reinvention rather than an evolution. It’s Dark, powerful, introspective and romantic. Few times you run into a so honest and exciting close up to human feelings which are adorned beautifully by the music imagined by Bellamy, Wolstenholme and Howard. A nice sound enriched with a spectacular perfectionism which goes from genres like metal and R&B through electronic and classical, which together create something uncommonly exceptional.

Muse has created one of the best albums of the year and they’re one of the best bands nowadays!

That’s it, period.

Attached Files:

• muse.jpg
      File size:
      81.1 KB
  2. apopagasm

apopagasm Banned

Aug 13, 2009
    for some reason i disagree with most of the stuff you said, but i agree it's an excellent album

i'd probably put it up with origin, and slightly above abso (with bhar and showbiz well below that)