My quick Wii U review

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by imranh101, Nov 19, 2012.

1. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Luckily, me and my sister had one preordered. Were planning on just selling it on eBay for $600 then waiting and getting another one. In a sense would have been a free Wii U, not including the wait time!
    But after getting home with it, couldn't do it - we sat down and tore that box open!
    We only grabbed New Super Mario Bros U because... Well, we were already spending $300 on the freakin' thing lol.
    After the 1.5gb, hour-and-a-half update, which was admittedly annoying, we were able to hop in to Mario. Kind of disappointed solely because in multiplayer with a wiimote + the tablet, only one person can play as Mario - the other person just taps the screen to drop platforms for Mario to jump on. To play with Mario + Luigi you need a seconds wiimote (which we have but got lost when we moved!)

So the multiplayer was kinda disheartening. BUT when I got home last night, I turned on the Wii U, TURNED OFF, YES, turned OFF MY tv, then proceeded to play NSMBU on JUST the tablet controller. Like, I was playing full fledged Wii U game on just the tablet controller. You can actually do this with Black Ops 2, Assassins Creed 3, Batman : Arkham City, and many more games - basically, you can play on the TV OR you can play on the tablet - turns your tablet in to a DS-XL that plays COD, AC, etc. as long as you are in range of the base console which is about a 30ft range.

How that works is pretty simple, the controllers sends your inputs to the console, the console runs/renders the game, then simply streams the information back to the tablet controller. The catch? It's super fast and responsive. Believe me I've used such applications as Splashtop on an iPad, and OnLive too - it'sEXTREMELY fast, you can't even tell there's a Wii U console rendering off-device - It SERIOUSLY feels like you are playing the thing as a gameboy. It is SOOO responsive - I can't stress this enough because it literally feels unreal to me how fast it runs!

Also of course these games DO run 60fps on the tablet (assuming the game runs 60fps which I believe all current WiiU games do.)
    The thing does have great build quality as mentioned, this Tuesday I will be stopping by Gamestop to grab a screenprotecter for the tablet because... I screenprotect anything with a touch screen.

I got the 8GB white console, because the Target I work at was out of preorder cards for the Black one - what are the differences? The Black one has 32GB, has a tablet stand for watching movies and such on the tablet controller, a stand to hold your Wii U upright like most people have their Wii, and includes the Nintendoland game. On that note, the white 8gb Wii U does not include any game. From what I understand, Nintendoland is not a whole bunch of fun if only playing by yourself, or maybe even one friend, but is a lot of fun playing with 4-5 people. Similar to how Wii Sports was.

All in all I wasn't looking forward to it being a kickass console after playing with it in Gamestop's kiosk, but now I LOOOVE it. I just wish I had more moolah to get more games - playing Black Ops 2 Zombies (I'm not even a COD fan, rather I usually hate the series) while laying on the bed, or kicking back in my deskchair, on the tablet controller, sounds AWESOME. The 1.5GB update was annoying but what can you do, it's more than possible it fixes some console-breaking function they found or something, I'm not gonna complain.

As of now it EASILY gets this following score from me, because, as much as I hate to admit it, the tablet controller really IS innovative. It will play a huge roll in a lot of games. For the first time, the Wii controller has the same number of buttons on it as a PS3 or 360 controller - 2 joysticks with click-in buttons, 4 facebuttons, start/select, L1/L2/R1/R2 and a home button. The fact that you can give the TV to someone to watch TV on, and just play on the tablet is simply intelligent. I also forgot to mention one of my favorite features. When setting up the console for the first time it asks you what brand TV you have, and then pulls up an ON-DEVICE TV REMOTE. You can control your TV FROM THE TABLET CONTROLLER. You can turn it on/off, volume/channel up/down, change input, and put in a channel number. What is so great about that? It's nothing new, just a universal remote, right? Wrong! It's the GREATEST feeling that when I get home from work I can just drop down on the couch with THE TABLET CONTROLLER. Don't have to search for and find a TV remote, don't have to sit it on the couch next to me, nothing. ALL you need to play IS THE CONTROLLER.

A lot of people think the controller looks awkward. IT DOES... LOOK awkward. But somehow Nintendo did it right. It feels good to hold. It's not at all heavy. It has a built in rechargable battery pack and includes a charger. I have yet to let it run out of battery, but only played it for about an hour without it plugged in. It's extremely responsive. Probably the best joysticks, buttons, and dpad Nintendo has ever put in a controller. The screen is about 6.2 inches and feels right. Smaller and it would feel like a little ipod touch in your controller.. Bigger and it feels like a kindle fire in your controller... They really found a sweet spot. The resolution is very good too, you can see single pixels if you look really closely but it can't be very high-res or it becomes too much data for the console to stream to the controller. The quality is very good anyway, PPI is more than great.

For those wondering, the 8gb vs 32gb isn't a huge setback. You can plug in any regular USB harddrive up to 2TB in size and install games to it just like the built in memory. Nintendo has said this, and players have confirmed it. No worry about running out of space when you can have 2 terabytes of space!

The only complaint I've heard/had with it is that some menus take a long time to load, such as the settings screen which takes upwards of 10-15 seconds. I can look past this though as most features that take long times to load I won't be using often. For me the thing is a gaming device, and game load times aren't long - that and Netflix, which has fine load times, too.

AS OF NOW, THE WIIU GETS A STRAIGHT 10/10 FROM ME. I'M NOT A NINTENDO FANBOY EITHER. I HATED THE ORIGINAL WII, BUT THEY SURE AS HELL DID EVERYTHING RIGHT WITH THE WII U! GO. BUY. ONE.

PS Please feel free to post your opinions or questions on it. Besides game-specific questions I can probably answer them pretty well. Would love to hear what you guys who also have one have to say about it.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. TOT_tomdora

TOT_tomdora Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Great. I'm the kind of person that liked the N64 and GameCube, and hates the wii. Now I want the WiiU.
  3. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    N64 was awesome! :D WiiU looks pretty cool, but meh.
  4. CooperHMan350

CooperHMan350 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5C
    N64 the original nintendo was amazing. now look at how far it has come a Wii portable
    Zyiros likes this.
  5. Dabone

Dabone Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Don't get ZombiU from what I have heard
  6. C0C0

C0C0 Well-Known Member

The Wii U just seems weird to me, but now I want to try it.
    N64? Original Nintendo? How dare you ignore the NES?! :eek:
    Half-Life likes this.
  7. CooperHMan350

Device:
    iPhone 5C
    I didn't even know there was a thing called the NES sorry Nintendo noob right here
    C0C0 likes this.
  8. C0C0

C0C0 Well-Known Member

lol it was discontinued in North America 4 years before you were born. I was kidding. Uh, not really, because the NES is awesome, but hum... yeah, I was kinda kidding. :p
  9. CooperHMan350

Device:
    iPhone 5C
    I live in Australia as well so...
    JailbreakHelp likes this.
  10. Archez

Archez Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I also waited in line at Best Buy for the Wii U, and I agree with you: 10/10!

Now I bought the black only because it came with the Digital Deluxe program (10% back off of everything you buy digitally). Pays for itself! Unfortunately I have no games aside from Nintendoland, but the system is still amazing! It truly will be innovative for new games (assuming developers will take the time to write good games).

I hope everyone will have the chance to use this system. It's awesome.