My new iPod touch (16GB) crashes constantly :(

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by d11wtq, Mar 8, 2008.

1. d11wtq

d11wtq New Member

I bought a 16GB iPod touch 3 days ago, and right until yesterday it has worked really nicely. Yesterday I was listening to music and then suddenly it just shut itself down and rebooted to the apple logo. As soon as the "Slide to unlock" srceen appeared after the reboot it shut itself down again and went back to the apple logo and so on, and so on.... in a constant loop.

I restored the 1.1.4 firmware in iTunes which took quite a few tries since it kept saying "Unknown error (6)" during the restore. The device was in almost as sorry a state once it was restored, except I could at least click around for maybe 10-15 seconds before it shut down now.

One last thing I tried was (very quickly while I got chance after reboot) turning OFF wi-fi and disabling the auto lock. Voila! With wi-fi off and the screen set never to lock it worked fine for the rest of the day.

Now this morning when I woke up the battery had drained completely even though the device wasn't in use all night (I suspect this is because I assumed it ould go to sleep after a while but I think you have to explicitly turn them off?). That aside, it was stuck in this constant reboot loop again.

I left it a little while and tried later and it started working again. But now it's doing the same thing again!!! WTF? It seems like my brand new iPod is a disaster and a waste of AU$500. Does anyone know anything about this?

I have to admit that I tried JailBreaking it unsuccessfully when I got it, but just gave up and left the 1.1.4 firmware on it (a fresh restore). Does the restore process do a full reformat as well? If not, how do I do that? Maybe there's a filesystem issue....

I also notice that it relatively warm when it gets into this state (by no means "hot", but warmer than desirable). Maybe it's overheating?

I'm completely stumped

Please Register or Log in to view images

Does anyone know if doing a fresh restore of the 1.1.4 firmware hides the fact you ever tried to jailbreak it as far as being under warranty is concerned?
  2. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

so do you have your ipod jailbroken
  3. fatsnake69

fatsnake69 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
  4. d11wtq

d11wtq New Member

No it's not jailbroken and I'd actually rather have a properly working iPod than a jailbroken one right now

Please Register or Log in to view images

I gave up jailbreaking it the day I got it (newer 16GB models aren't fully cracked yet). I just read another thread in this forum in passing, where GamingWarrior says:

At the time I was writing the last thread I was stuck in that repeat reboot loop. I was also trying to restore the firmware (god knows why since I know it'll only happen again). Trying to restore the firmware for me was a procedure of holding both power + home until the cable/iTunes graphic comes up, then doing the restore in iTunes. iTunes kept bailing halfway with different "unknown error" codes.

After reading GamingWarrior's note and seeing his emphasis on making sure there's no graphic on screen I gave that a go. It has worked first time doing it that way, but I'm only 50% sure it's because I was in that particular restore mode and 50% under the feeling that it was fluke!

Can anyone explain what the difference between a restore mode with a completely black screen and no graphics is, compared with the standard restore mode where you see the cable pointing to iTunes? If I knew the difference my mind may be a little more at rest that this is the solution (not a jailbreak solution, a clean legitimate restore solution).
  5. lazyasada

lazyasada Banned

ok well just restore and then you have a regerlur ipod
  6. d11wtq

d11wtq New Member

Yep done it and it seems to be working. In future I'm always going to use the "DFU" mode to restore. Apparently there's a pretty significant difference between having the iTunes logo/cable on the screen compared with having the completely black screen. The completely black screen is a DFU restore (don't ask me what DFU stands for), whereas the graphical screen is a soft restore.

The difference is that iTunes talks to your iPod a lot more in a soft restore mode and probably doesn't "wipe" as much. In DFU mode the device is effectively completely dumb and doesn't communicate with iTunes so much and thus, I suspect iTunes just does a complete overwrite of the data on it.

In other words, if you have a cable and an iTunes logo on the srceen of the device you're not doing as fresh of a restore as you might think.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27348
  7. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Force restore may do the thing.

Link in signature.