My little 2¢ on themes

Discussion in 'Customization Requests' started by murphmanny, Mar 13, 2009.

1. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Okay, for themes and why Apple should allow them:

A group of about 15 guys or more get together and join a theme making group. Each person does two letters of apps. Example Johny would do A-B, Manny C-D, Dustin E-F, etc. You get what I mean. Obviously the guy with Y-Z would have a lighter load, and would help out the others. Each person would create icons for EVERY app in the app store, and say update it once a week, or twice a month. This way, Apple would think that it would be a complete different set of icons, and I mean COMPLETE, and they may allow it. Of course Apple would have to come up with a system for putting the themes on there, such as a Winterboard, etc. without allowing people to get into the filesystem. I don't think Apple is too far away from letting themes go, but they want to make sure that the there filesystems don't get modified like they do now with jailbreaking.

To sum it up, you could have a COMPLETE set of new icons, just like a new springboard.

Anyone else think that is a good idea?
  2. mmitt

mmitt New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It is a great idea, but what are the chances that the themes would be free? If it requires constant work to keep the theme complete, then I would imagine that the developers would charge monthly...
  3. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    my idea posted in a similar thread 2 minutes ago
    1) people will make themes and then submit it to apple. if apple considers it a well done theme they will put it in a store.
    2) when you purchase an app it gives you a code that allows you to access a server on apple.com or w/e that allows you to request, post, and download different icons for themes. there for you can request it and then anybody can create it and finally you or anyone else can download it.
    3) its a way to make money and it will cut down jailbreaks. i know i wouldn't jailbreak
  4. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Or make the Dev of the app make their own set of 'Theme" icons before they sent it on App Store.
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Who is going to make 25,000+ new icons?
  6. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    d'you know how ridiculously hard it would be for even 15 guys to make nearly 26,000 icons? and all of them different, and all of them with the proper icon name?

and the size, too-

jaio takes up around 1mb, with 179 icons

with some math that's around 150mb for a simple all-icons-are-the-same theme like jaio

no thanks

edit: and yeah, if i spent the weeks it takes to make 1,800 icons i'd definitely want to make some money, themes would be at least $20
  7. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Didn't say it would be free. But maybe some with non complete sets will be, if Apple accepts them.

Sorry, I didn't see it. I thought about this for like three weeks.

Yea, that would be a cool idea. But, then the theme wouldn't even look like a theme. A point of a theme is for everything to match.
  8. iKeablr

iKeablr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I agree with Jack. That is too much memory wasted for just a theme.
  9. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

If the group of 15 guys or more are committed to make 1500ish app icons each.

Just an idea.

Maybe they only make the top 10,000 apps or something. The apps that EVERYONE uses. Not like the useless flashlight apps.

And I have icons that are like 8kb in disk space. Times that by 25000 = 200000 kb = ~200 mb. That's if you own EVERY single app. Which you obviously don't, so it wouldn't be that much. (If my math is right

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  10. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    you actually think you've got a good idea here? who's going to find 15 guys who are willing to make 1500 icons each, and have them all look coherent, for free?