My iPod Touch is having wi-fi connectivity problems. Any advise?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by xjudex, May 16, 2008.

1. xjudex

xjudex New Member

I'm at work now, and trying to connect to the wi-fi in my building. My iPod Touch is connected to the wi-fi but it can't open pages or send emails. It comes back with the error messages:

Net: Safari can't open the page because it can't find the server.
    Mail: The connection to the server "imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com" failed.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!

Unfortunately, the IT people are in a different state and only take calls regarding company matters, so I can't ask them.
  2. xxjustinxx

xxjustinxx New Member

wow, just wow... Theres like tons of posts about this - most likely theres a filter that is pwning you from using the internet
  3. xjudex

xjudex New Member

Thanks for the flame, pal.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I did a search and found nothing. You're post was just so helpful, thanks for your pointless sarcasm. You fail at life.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Have a word with the guys who run your works wifi. It might be that it does not let Mac devices connect. I also get this problem when i try to connect at school, it says its connected but it wont do anything.

Also on your ipod, go to Settings -> Wi-fi -> the network your on -> and see if it has anything in the Router and DNS boxes.

If not, just go speak to the tech guys at your work

Hope this helped
  5. xjudex

xjudex New Member

Thank you!

I appreciate your nice, helpful answer.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    no problem

tell me how it goes
  7. chriscoyne

chriscoyne New Member

Go to settings with WiFi set to On...Select your WiFI and tap on the Blue Arrow.

Under 'DHCP" you can change the DNS Servers.
    Under "Static" you can edit all the information manually.

Option 1

Try OpenDNS

Set your DNS to: 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

Option 2

Under Static Tab:

IP Address: 192.168.1.150
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

So try this. It might be good to go to settings/General/Reset/Resetnetworksetting and do the reset.

Chris
    1 person likes this.
  8. Nasty_Ben

Nasty_Ben New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I had some wifi problems after I went to Europe then came back to Canada. I think my power converter had some issues and put too much power to the iPod, after a few charges at home it fixed itself though. I though it was really strange! For the wifi problem you have, try automatic setting and try to hook up to a known wireless network that works. If that fails, use a laptop or some other device to hook on that wifi and see if that works, if it does then I'd contact Apple.
  9. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

Sounds like the router has a MAC address filter, so only devices in the MAC address approved table can get internet access (even though you can connect to the router).

Has anyone in locations with just secure (padlocked) WIFI zones available tried punching in random passwords to see if they could guess the password? A couple of times in two different places (well pubs if you must know) I have tried this with 5 and 6 digit text passwords based on either the place I am at name or things like password / backdoor etc and managed to connect to the network - but there is no internet access after that because there is no router ip or dns filled out when you look at the settings. I can't imagine I randomly got the correct password twice just guessing (and that was at two different locations so two different passwords) so I'm not sure if this is a touch glich where it thinks it is connected??

More amusing a week ago I was calling in at a hotel for a meeting, they had a open network but it was where it directed you to their home page in Safari and requested a password to access the internet. I asked at the bar and they said I could have the password for the internet for £5! WTF I was only going to be there for an hour.(I declined to pay of course) Anyway I tried putting ip's into safari going from the router ip up in 1 digits increments (ie router ip listed in settings as 145.135.1.1, so tried 145.135.1.2 etc) and hit on their networked HP printer/scanner with it's own admin page! Played about with all their settings for it and then found the webscan feature and set it off scanning whatever was in it in the hope someone was in the office with it and got completely perplexed as to why it suddenly started scanning on it's own! (Yea I know I need to get out more.)