My iPod Touch is damaging my high-end earphones. What should I do ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by audioteknika, Mar 4, 2008.

1. audioteknika

audioteknika New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    3 weeks ago, my Sennheiser CX-300 started to acting weirdly on the right channel. With each listening period passing by, the volume was going lower and lower, till to the point that this channel was barely audible. I tested them with different sources and I faced the fact that this problem couldn't be undone. Even if I threated them carefully during a whole year, I could just say now that they are completely dead, due to some sort of driver failure.

So, I rushed out to buy a new set on earphone and I decided to pick a higher end one, a brand new pair of Shure E4C. God I was happy, having finally sound in both of my ears. I listened to them during a 2 hours period. When I was over, I folded them back in the carrying case.

The day after, after plugging them back in my ipod, I just wanted to cry : the left channel was inaudible to a point that I needed to boost the sound to the maximum in order to ear something in the left channel. I tested them back in different sources and the same thing happened. After 3 hours of testing on different sources, I thought they were completely damaged.

So , this morning, I tested them back in my macbook and, to my suprise, they are working 100% like the first time I tried them.

Now, I'm thinking, could my ipod have some sort of voltage problem that could do such irreversible damage to an high-end earphone ? I just can't find another explanation.

Should I go to the genius bar or ask for a repair online ? I just don't know how to prove this awkward problem to a genius at the bar.

I won't be plugging my shures in this cursed ipod , that's for sure !!!! I don't want to lose $200 +++ over this.

Please, help me.
  2. Thrash_648

Thrash_648 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i had this problem with my old ipod: Do you wrap the headphones round your ipod when your finished listening with them still plugged in? if so, its tuggin at the jack and pulled it out of place, if your still in warranty you can go and get another one for free.

If not, you can buy an adapter that goes into the Apple slot at the bottom of ur ipod so that you can listen to music through there.

Hope this helps.
  3. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Are you listening to your headphones at full blast? that could be a problem. or because you tangle the cords up.
  4. Vasily

Vasily Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yep had the same problem, exchanged my old Nano and the problem was solved. If u wrap ur headphones around the ipod, dont leave them plugged in

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. ska18

ska18 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  6. the goat

the goat Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    hey!! i had exactly the same prob as you!! same earphones, same roblem, but my left phone went first. i think its got something to do with the mpedeance of the earphones. the cx300's imp. is16 ohms and the standard ipod ones is 32ohms. but i cant find anywhere where it says what the minimum impedeance for the itouch's amplifier. if its like 32ohms, it means that you shouldnt have used the sennheisers with the ipod. (well neither sould i ) so when you buy headphones, check for the ipedeance. but whe i said 32ohms for the ipod, i was just saying an example. you could call apple's technical dep and ask. they might know.
  7. blaser

blaser New Member

My shures ear phones seem to be fine been using them daily for a few months about 3 hours a day.
  8. Shade

Shade New Member

only when i use sinewave and go really low does my headphone start to get quiet

Please Register or Log in to view images