My ipod touch 2g is having problems going into DFU?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fearmyskillz, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fearmyskillz

fearmyskillz New Member

Hey guys,
    This is my first thread so excuse any newbiness. Well I've been trying to put my ipod touch 2g into DFU mode and it's like it just won't happen. I've tried all the different amounts of time to hold the buttons that people have said. I've even used the standalone DFU helper. So when I do the process of getting it into DFU mode, I'm not sure if its even in DFU mode. If its in DFU mode is it supposed to be able to go back to normal boot in any manual way? I'm asking this because when I hold home and power for 10 seconds after it has an unresponsive black screen, it reboots normally. I thought you can't get out of DFU without using some programs or restoring it or something. Another thing is, when I keep itunes open and I do the key combinations, no matter how long I hold home, the ipod won't reappear in itunes unless I exit and run itunes again. Even then, when I do the restore, it gives me 1606. I get the black screen and I've been trying to restore to a posted firmware for the 2g jailbreak. I always get the 1606 error (cannot restore). I'm using the firmware given from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGZpRNf4WE
    If my questions seem unanswerable, then can someone at least tell me how I can be sure that my ipod is in DFU mode? Maybe it is in DFU but that firmware is just screwed up? If thats the case then can someone link a firmware for the semi-tethered jailbreak that actually works.
    And in case your wondering, I'm not stupid or anything...I'm sure I'm doing the keys right. I was just surprised that it could reboot normally after I held home and power for 10 secs and let go.
  2. Ranko95

Ranko95 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First, turn your ipod off, hold both home and sleep for 10 secs, then release the sleep and hold home until itunes recognizes it in recovery mode. when it is in dfu you will not be able to turn it on and your computer will say is has malfunctioned.
  3. fearmyskillz

fearmyskillz New Member

Maybe what I was doing wrong was I didn't turn it off. I got the USB device not recognized thing so I'm going to try to downgrade to that firmware again. If it doesn't work I guess I'll just try another one.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh one more thing, when my computer gave me that message about a malfunctioned usb or something, was I supposed to keep holding till it showed up in itunes? Or exit itunes and run it again?

Btw, I did what you said and got the malfunctioned message thing, but still when I held power and home for 10 secs, it rebooted normally

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    I am getting the USB malfunctioned thing but iv been holding home for like 2 mins and it still won't reappear in itunes.
  4. DeFekT

DeFekT New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Make sure iPod is off, hold the HOME and POWER button until you hear a chime from your computer, make sure volume is up quite a bit, when you hear that first chime, let go of the power, and hold the HOME button til you hear another chime, let go, and you should be in DFU mode, good luck. Your screen should be black, and you shouldn't be able to turn it on or anything, do whatever you gotta do with iTunes..If you're restoring to the custom FW, then make sure you hold shift while you click restore, but if you're booting, you don't need iTunes...Good luck man.
  5. troender

troender New Member

a mi me parece ke lo ke te pasa s q no pulsas bien los botones es.:
    -los dos botones por 11 seg
    -el boton home hasta ke l ordenador lo rekonozka ( mas o menos 8 seg)
    Pruebalo y vuelve a postear
  6. doctadunk

doctadunk New Member

Don't blame the iPod it is your inability to read and follow directions.
  7. hockeyboy18

hockeyboy18 New Member

Is it in dfu mode and it says when you try to put on custom firmware on
    not compatible bs
  8. Same!

Its not that he's not doing it right or that he cant follow instructions! Its sound like you have the iPod 2g firmware on a 3g device (and yes, that can happen) and unfortinantly I'm having the same problem, Im working on a solution as I speak. Now that it has happened, it will not let me put 3g firmware back on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.