My iPod is absolutely SUPER-GLUED to DFU mode

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cruyff, Aug 19, 2008.

1. cruyff

cruyff New Member

Sometime yesterday I managed to get my Touch into DFU mode. I didn't know this at first, I was just starring at a black and lifeless iPod, and just assumed I had royally owned it. But after a night of googling, searching, browsing, downloading and hair-pulling I find myself here, no closer or further from solving the recurring Error 1604 that will no doubt forever be etched in my subconscious.

Here's what I do know: It's not my computer or my itunes, as I've tried it on a different computer, with a different version of itunes, and a different connection cord, to the same effect. I've tried shutting down my comp. I've tried a ton of combinations involving holding down the sleep and/or home key before, during and after connecting the iPod.

I've tried the instructions outlined here (bottom post) using iPhuc, to no avail. I've used ZiPhone to ensure my phone is actually in DFU mode, and it is.

When I try and SHIFT restore to an older version I still get a momentary flash of white on my ipod, but an error (5, 6, 20, 50, 2000, i've seen em all) keeps coming back. My ipod was charging all night, so that shouldnt be an issue. The only real lead I can give is that I'm a still a bit confused about downgrading through winpwn. I have winpwn 2.0.0.4 and it noticably differs from 2.0.0.1 because I have no clue how to dl Cydia through winpwn ((i'm looking @ step 9 here). Anyways, I usually prefer lurking around similar threads, and as you all know there've been a ton involving DFU, but this time I just had to ask myself..

Now please somebody save me before I stomp my iPod, give up on technology altogether and find a cave to live out my remaining days. S.O.S!
  2. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Take it out of DFU mode?

Press and hold power + home for a while with your ipod connected.

Listen to your diconnected "BONG" and then you're out of DFU
  3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    power + home for 10 seconds
    if nothing appears on the screen (apple start logo) then hold the power button for about a second and see if the iPod starts.
    If nothing works and your iPod is not jailbroaken you can send it back to apple.
  4. cruyff

cruyff New Member

Sure, the iPod disconnects, and it may very well be out of DFU, but it's still all black and unrecognizable.

It was jailbroken months ago back in v. 1.1.1. It eventually upgraded itself to v. 1.1.2 and everything done while jailbreaking was lost, does that mean it's clean again? Also, I was not the original purchaser..
  5. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    But now it's out of DFU mode, Hold power and turn it on.
    Or just put it into restore mode.
  6. cruyff

cruyff New Member

I'm not sure it is out of DFU mode though, and if it is, then the problem truly is deeper than what mode it's in. I only know it's in DFU mode because ZiPhone tells me so. If I ask ZiPhone to put it in Recovery mode, that can be done in a couple of seconds:

Process completed successfully!

Phone is now in Recovery Mode. Please restore the phone in iTunes. If you changed your mind, you can click the Normal mode button to revert to normal mode.

Trying to revert to normal mode, it just remains forever on:

Phone detected! Starting phone in NORMAL MODE...

If nothing happens after a minute the phone is probably in DFU-mode and must be restored in iTunes.

Really, I have no clue what mode it's in, or what DFU mode should even look like. Should either DFU or recovery mode be able to get some sort of image on the screen, because my phone can't be activated from either one of them.
  7. brisingr

brisingr New Member

press restore, not shift-restore.
  8. cruyff

cruyff New Member

Tried that a ton, man. It's restore that gives me Error 1604, shift-restore attempts always give me something different
  9. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1604 means your MobileDevice framework is temporarily corrupt. The only fix is to restore on another computer. Once you've done that, then you can use the computer that gave you a 1604 again without any trouble.

Edit: I might add that that's the only fix, if that's the cause of the 1604 (which it usually is). Even getting rid of everything related to iTunes on your computer and starting with a new MobileDevice framework just doesn't work.
  10. miketastic

miketastic New Member

What firmware are you running on your ipod, and what itunes were running on both computers? Because if you're trying to restore 1.1.4 then you need itunes 7.5, but if you're trying to restore to 2.0[.1/.2] then you need itunes 7.7

Or maybe you need itunes 7.7.1, have you updated the software recently?

Anyway, it can be a real b*tch, cause I downgraded from 2.0 to 1.1.4 and it took the better part of 2 days, and 2 computers.

Hope this helps.