My iPod hates me. And so does DFU.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Matimac, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Matimac

Matimac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Alright guys,
    yes, I admit, I'm kinda noobish. But we all start somewhere...
    Anyway, I am having problems with my iPod Touch 1st Gen. I decided to upgrade from 2.2 to the new 3.0 firmware, which I would jailbreak afterwards.

Got the firmware, do the usual restore/upgrade routine... Everything seemed to go normal. I leave my computer and when I come back, I got an Error. I am not sure what error it was, considering that this happened over a week ago. I think it was Error (6) but I am not entirely sure.

I unplug my iPod, replug it. And now I get Error 2005 (which claims that an iPod had been recognized but could't be identified.) all the time when trying to revive my iPod...

And DFU Mode doesn't work. I think I'm doing it right... I connect the iPod to the computer, and the sound of a device being plugged in can be heard. That's good, it means that my computer recognizes my iPod, right?

Then I hold down the power and home button for 10 seconds. Again, the sound of a device being plugged in can be heard. That's when I release the power button and keep holding the home button. After another few seconds, the sound of a USB device being plugged in and unplugged can be heard several times in a row.

Then iPod's screen turns white for a second and iTunes comes with a message like "Waiting for (the) iPod..." (not sure if that's the exact translation, I'm translating from German...)

Then a message saying something along the lines of "The server for iPod-Software-Updates couldn't be contacted. The server does not support this version of iTunes." pops up.

I'm on Version 8.2.1 right now, running on Vista. Could it be because I'm running on a German version? I'm not sure, but I think I jailbroke Versions 1.4 and 2.2 on a German iTunes version...

And if it helps, when I was trying to get from 1.4 to 2.2, it took me several tries (around 12-20) to finally manage to upgrade / restore.

Time is unlimited, all I want is to get my iPod to 3.0 (or 2.2.1 if it can't be helped) and then jailbreak it. I got my Vista Computer with iTunes 8.2.1 and my XP Laptop with 8.2

Edit: I just plugged my iPod into my laptop. The same thing as above happened. I tried it on my laptop before, but then, strangely, XP recognized my iPod in DFU mode. BUT ITUNES DOESNT! This is pissin me off... Ah, and when I tried to DFU Mode, the "Waiting For iPod" message took longer and the screen turned on and was white for longer.... Is my timing for the DFU Mode wrong?

Sorry for the long post. But I think it's best if I include as much detail as possible. And if this is posted in the wrong Forum Section... well, tell me.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. MobileMusicPlayer

MobileMusicPlayer New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Have you tried using an english version of iTunes?
  3. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    When going into DFU Mode, the screen should be Black.
    There is a good guide for DFU Mode here - Link.
  4. Matimac

Matimac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, not yet. But I'll try tomorrow.

Yeah, I know. But it still turnes white. I'll go and check out the link.

EDIT: Alright, I just installed the newest version of iTunes on my Laptop (XP), and it's set to English. Still, nothing happened, except that all the errors are in English now, duh.
  5. krazydemon239

krazydemon239 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  6. Matimac

Matimac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    -.-

That doesn't work. First of all, when I hold the Home and Power button for longer than 10 seconds, the PC recognizes it, but no image pops up. I need DFU Mode, not the Restore mode! I think. :S

EDIT: I am doing some experiments now. I tried DFU... When I released the Power button and kept holding the home button, I decided to try and hit the Power button again once the screen would turn white. I do so and I get something new: Error 1600 That's new....
  7. girtheawesome

girtheawesome New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    this is happening to me too i believe its the new itunes because i hadn't had problems until the new itunes

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Matimac

Matimac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Huh. Can anyone vertify this? Should I search for an older iTunes version?
  9. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Doubt it. You need at least iTunes 8.2 for fw3.0, so the only one you could downgrade to is 8.2 (from 8.2.1) and see if that works. Link here - http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php
  10. TouchCast

TouchCast Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's right only THE latest firmware of iTunes works THE best with 3.0