iPhone 4 My iPhone 4 Cost Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bseels13, Apr 21, 2010.

1. bseels13

bseels13 New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Well, here's the story:
    In mid-July of last year, I got a white 32GB iPhone 3GS. I intended on skipping the next generation iPhone (4th generation), thus keeping my contract intact to get the 2011 iPhone (presumably 5th generation). This was until I saw the tremendous features the new iPhone possesses and had to have one. However, this presents quite a predicament: I still have my current contract for the 3GS. It is unlockable (05.11.07 baseband firmware) and I am contemplating canceling the contract before the 4g comes out and then selling the 3GS on eBay. My questions are how much could I expect to get for the iPhone (which is in pretty good shape with minimal scratches on back and a small mark) and how much would it cost to terminate the contract with AT&T that has gone through 11 months?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.
  2. xolisababyy

xolisababyy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    It's usually $300 to terminate contracts. If it's unlocked, you would get around at LEAST $450.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Well I don't know about American prices but I just got a 3GS 16gb from eBay for £300 and all the other ones sell for around £340. This is locked to a network so im sure if yours is unlocked you could push towards £370ish

The termination of your contract is usually

Amount of months left * price you pay per month, and then kinda rounded up around there.
  4. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Oh thats handy actually, O2 can now unlock their contract phones for free, so hopefully that will get me a few extra squids on ebay for it.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    o2 is £15 to unlock a pay-as-you-go iPhone

6. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I wonder if O2 can unlock any iPhone, like even from here in the States... I think I will email them. That would be nice.

(I hate unlock by jailbreak, jailbreak slows the phone down way too much for the benefit of unlock.)
  7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    No they wont, will only do it if your on the o2 network

An meh, if you just jailbroke and unlocked and then removed ALL the packaging that cydia adds on then you wouldnt be faced with a slow down problem

8. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    or better yet, dont install any MS addons or even MS itself and just delete some LaunchDaemons, you can make it run faster than a normal iPhone

9. canesfan

canesfan Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    The iPhone 4g should be about 199$ with an upgrade right? I have an upgrade in September.
  10. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Alright well I can tell you I'm in the exact, literally exact situation you're in. Same phone color, size, and model. Just like you I was going to wait it out, however after seeing the phone I really want to upgrade.

Anyways, the way you're planning on taking things would be more expensive. Cancelling your current contract and buying the new iPhone is definitely what you don't want to do. When you cancel the 2-year contract it can be almost $275. Then added on with the new phone it'll take the cost of around $200-$300 (assuming the price won't rise up). Altogether it will be almost $500.

Instead of doing that, AT&T allows you to make an early upgrade as long as you pay the fee. I know if you took the early upgrade for the 3GS, it would be $400 for the 16gb and $500 for the 32gb. So, doing an early upgrade saves you the time from cancelling your contract, buying the new phone, and renews your 2-year contract