My First Review (and post) for Real Soccer 2009!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by daschwab12, Aug 3, 2009.

1. daschwab12

daschwab12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hi, daschwab12 here, and hopefully I write a good review here. Since I am technologically disabled, I couldn't add pictures or screenshots to this review, (even though I kept looking up how to and failing multiple times). I've decided to write about my favorite game on my iPhone, Real Soccer 2009.

Name: Real Soccer 2009
    Developer: Gameloft (My favorite)
    Price: Usually $2.99, but $0.99 now
    Size: 75.4 MB
    Version: 1.5.2 (iPhone OS 3.0 Tested)
    Rating: 4+

What is Real Soccer 2009?

Only the best soccer game, if not sports game (until Madden comes out) on the App Store. Before the iPhone, this game has been on other consoles (such as the Nintendo DS) and has thrived on the previous consoles. Currently, Real Soccer is the 8th most popular sports game, and sometimes you even see it in the Top 50 for all paid apps. And while currently, there have been many debates on which is the best soccer game on the market, Real Soccer 2009 or X2 Soccer 2009, I have to give the edge to Real Soccer because the game is just plain fantastic!

Gameplay/Controls

You would think that a soccer game would have very difficult controls, but Real Soccer is quite the opposite. It has an A button, B Button, D-Pad, and Home (or start button). On offense, the A button is shoot and the B button is pass, however the length you hold onto the button is how much power your player generates in his kick and how high the ball gets off the ground. So if you want to shoot the ball close to midfield, you want to hold the A button longer than if you were in the penalty box. It works the same for passing, but usually your passes don't get off the ground, unless you press the B button in different directions. The D-Pad is used mostly for movement of the players, but can also be used for turbo. In additon, tricks are done by tapping your finger in a blank space. On defense, The D-Pad is used for the same thing as on offense, the A button is used for slide tackling, and the B button is used to just try and steal the ball without sliding. You can change your player easily as well, by tapping on an empty space, and the player closest to that space is the new player you control. (I really wish I had a picture to show you this, but on Google and the App store, they have pictures of this.)

Real Soccer 2009 has many different game modes, which is one of the reasons why this game is so time consuming. It has exhibition, cup, league, multiplayer, penalty kicks, and training. Exhibition is just a single game if you don't have that much time to sit around and relax. You can choose any team you want, however you can only be the Away team, which is strange. You can either play as a country team, league team, or a legends team and you can select your cpu opponent as well. It also has the skill of your team based on 8 different qualifications, technique, reaction, defense, offense, power, stamina, and teamwork. It also shows the main formation that your team runs. After you select the two teams, you have multiple options for your game, duration, difficulty, stadium, weather, day/night, and rules (if there's a tie after regulation). For duration of the game, there's 5 mins, 10 mins, and 15 mins, but that's the actual time of the game, not the time that the clock counts up to (it's always 90 mins no matter what). The difficulties are easy, medium, and hard. Easy is great for beginners, because it's way too easy and impossible to lose. Medium is usually the skill level that players are on for the liongest, because hard is actually really hard. However, once you reach hard, every game is a challenge, and it ain't over till it's over. There are 12 choices for stadium (there's also random if you don't care), 3 choices for weather (random as well), and day/night is explanatory. For rules, this is only pertaining to if there is a tie after regulation. They have choices such as golden goal, silver goal, ext. time + pen, and no ext. time. Once you're done with the rules you choose the jersey if you're team (you can choose the home jersey even though you are away), then you can do substitutions or change your team's formation and whether you want them to be offensive or defensive for the time being. You can also change the formation or make substitutions during the game.

In cup mode, you have your choice between 6 different cups including international cup (or world cup). You select your team, duration of the games, difficulty, and if you want to make the groups, you can, or they can be randomized. Finishing the whole cup takes awhile, (especially if you do 15 minute games0, so you probably won't finish it in one sitting. So, you can load your process, only after you finish a game. You cannot save during a game, and if you quit and load it again, it starts from the beginning of the game, not the middle of it. You can also check the league standings of each division or overall, and check stats such as most goals and most assists. League is pretty much the same as cup, unless you are a huge fan of leagues such as the English League, Italian League, etc. The league season is 38 games (plus championship) so this is a very time consuming game mode (like cup mode). Mutliplayer is like exhibition, except you're playing an actual person, and not the computer. However you can create your own game, and choose whether you want to be home or away (it really doesn't make a difference). Multiplayer is quite fun, but sometimes the connection isn't 100% reliable, and rarely you can crash (at least for me). Penalty kicks is self-explanatory, and training is either a tutorial on the game, or just a team practice. The wide selection of game modes is a huge reason why this game has so much replay value.

Graphics

The graphics are nothing spectacular, but they're fine. You can't tell one player's face from another, but the fields and the advirtisments on the field are cool. The uniforms are pretty colorful and stylish and well. However, the celebrations after a goal are the same every time. Personally, X2 Soccer's graphics are a lot better than Real Soccer's, but I don't have any complaints with these.

Audio

This is probably the weakest part about the game, because the commentary is just bad. It's not play by play, and they only talk after a goal or if there's a corner kick. The menu music is just mediocre. However, you can listen to your music (which is what I do) during the game, and the best part is, it doesn't effect the speed of the game at all.

Replay Value

This is by far my most played game. Because of the game modes and the never-ending challenges on hard mode, this game never gets old. Even if there's like 5 minutes until my my favorite TV show and I'm just waiting (Entourage, btw), I just play a quick 5 minute game and then I'm ready to roll. Also, the multiplayer mode is quite good as well, so there is a lot of replay value in this game.

Incase you didn't want to read every single detail... Here are the pros and cons

Please Register or Log in to view images

Pros:
    Many different game modes (that are very time consuming)
    Lots of replay value
    Cheap price
    All of the teams in the soccer, and the real player's names as well
    Simple controls
    Good Multiplayer (online) Mode and it rarely crashes
    Tutorials to help you master the game
    Very realistic gameplay and good graphics
    Can listen to your music while playing

Cons:
    Bad commentary
    Doesn't save in the middle of the game
    Can't be the home team in exhibition
    Big difficulty gap between easy and hard
    Rosters are not recently updated (during 2008-2009 season)

Final Thoughts

Let's just put it this way, even though I do not follow soccer and don't play it that often, Real Soccer is still my favorite game on my iPhone right now. The great gameplay, game modes, replay value, and price all adds up into this fantastic game. While Real Soccer isn't in the Top 50 in the App Store right now, it's definitely Top 50 in gaming quality. I would highly recommend this game to anyone (unless you truely despise soccer), and if you habe an extra buck lying around or on a gift certicifate to iTunes, you should definitely spend it on this game. Too bad you can't spend it on X2 Soccer 2009, because it's 6 dollars more, and not as good as Real Soccer 2009, the best sports game on the App Store.

Grades

Gameplay/Controls: 9.5/10
    Graphics: 7.5/10
    Audio: 6/10 (because you can listen to your music while playing)
    Replay Value: 10/10
    Value: 10/10

Overall: 8.6 (Very Good), despite audio bringing the grade down, this game is still great, and if you look for gameplay and replay value in a game the most, Real Soccer will not let you down once you buy it.

I hope you guys liked it, I would love some constructive criticism as well, to see what I can work on for my next review.
  2. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Damn, pwns mine

But mine had screens

Great first review, welcome.
  3. theboss123

theboss123 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i would add some pics
    like now
    other than that good job
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice write up. You definitely need to become versed in how to add screenshots etc. (see the sticky thread written by Abmsaj for hints). Also watch you spelling. Great first try. The writing is the most important element and if you can round that off with strong presentation then you'll go far!

edit/ it needs a thumbnail too - there's also a guide for that
  5. daschwab12

daschwab12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    thanks guys for the comments, my next review will def b a lot better (with pictures), and im very glad i joined this forum!