My First desktop Build

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by ((( Sunn Aphex ))), Apr 7, 2010.

1. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

((( Sunn Aphex ))) New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Ok I wanted to build a computer for a while now but I never had the money. Now my parents are giving me money so I can build a computer because I am graduating highschool. I don't want to suck up all their money so I kind of had a 500 dollar budget in my head.

In this build I decided to use AMD because it seems more practical. I want to create this computer with a powerhouse motherboard,case, and power supply. The cpu and gpu I can upgrade later when I get enough money.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100253HDMI Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Low Profile Ready Video Card

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM: Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA800

Somebody was saying that RAM wouldn't work with that motherboard, is that true?
    Also, I am just curious, what is the most powerful AMD cpu and gpu that this build can support?
  2. leadergo

leadergo Active Member

Seems pretty good. The Graphics Card seems okay (don't expect to play some full high-resolution games with it). You said you were going to upgrade it when you have enough money, so I guess that takes care of the GPU.

I like the price of the HDD. 70 bucks for a 640GB SATA is a great deal.

I didn't see what CD/DVD drive you will be using. Don't forget about that.

Other than that, it seems like a pretty sweet deal for a PC.
  3. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I would get 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM and a better GPU. Other than that, pretty shweet.
  4. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

Device:
    iPad
    Thanks, yea I needed a little help picking a cd/dvd drive....

Also somebody said that RAM which was ddr2 would not work with the ddr3 motherboard....I don't know much about that....were they trolling me?
  5. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think the DDR2 and DDR3 are physically different sizes, so DDR2 wouldn't fit.
  6. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

Device:
    iPad
    hmmm ok, thanks...so I need to get ddr3 ram...
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Correct. It uses the better DDR3 RAM cards. DDR2 won't work with it.

Note that it's always good to try and max out your PSU if you can as power shortage is often an issue with DIY builds. Check one of the online PSU calculators to make sure you have enough but I think you should be okay. Cooling is also an issue and if you can't stretch to water cooling then it could be useful to invest in some extra fans as that case has the capacity, though this will again add to PSU load. On the face of it apart from the RAM the components look okay, though I didn't check them in depth.
  8. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

Device:
    iPad
    Im not quite following you on the power supply part. I am going to change my RAM to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148194

Later On I will add 2 more.
  9. Led

Led Banned

Two gigabytes of ram is sadly not sufficient anymore. It would highly advise getting 4 gbs up front and investing in a better graphics card and changing your avatar, it's creepy.

What is your budget and what do you intend to use it for? That would be helpful. You seem to be picking an underpowered pc from the parts you have/keep choosing.
  10. The7thWitness

The7thWitness New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i guess my ram sucks at 512mb lmao