My Desktop Computer Died

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by lakerfanalways, Aug 29, 2008.

1. lakerfanalways

lakerfanalways Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Hey everyone,
    My really super old desktop computer died an hour ago..was using it and BAM, just turned off and thats it..my new desktop is gonna come on Tuesday cause I knew one day the computer would stop working but didn't expect it to be today..so..my question is, a week ago I backed up my music(i did not press backup on the itunes, just put the music folder on my external drive) along with my apps that i put in a seperate app folder..when I connect my Ipod to the new computer, and open up itunes, wouldn't the stuff on my Ipod disappear since the itunes would be empty..what do I have to do so that my Ipod doesn't get completely wiped out? My Ipod is already jailbroken..I was thinking that if I connect the Ipod to the computer that it would recognize the stuff that I have and transfer it into Itunes but I guess it doesn't work like that. I never did the backup thing on Itunes because on my old computer it would have taken 3 hours or more and it didn't seem necessary at the time. I am glad that a new computer is coming..I am on the laptop now I just want to get an idea as to what I might have to do when I do get the new computer so that I won't have any issues. I hope this will be easy because I don't want to have to restore my Ipod, jailbreak again so that I Can put the apps and music back in the Ipod..any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks
  2. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    when you get your new comp set up, download Total Commander and transfer all your music from your ipod to your new comp via usb cable. Then install itunes and add the music to your library. You should figure out what happened to your old computer, the hard drive might still work, plug it in to your new computer....
  3. lakerfanalways

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    thanks so much for the info..and how about my apps..if I connect my Ipod to Itunes will the apps disappear..if I Connect my Ipod to my laptop Itunes now(and Itunes has nothing on it) will the Ipod basically be wiped clean, but I will still be jailbroken? just that it wont contain any of the apps or music but I will still have bossprefs, cydia, installer, winterboard, and customize. as far as my old computer goes..it was so weird, I was surfing the web and BAM, it just turned off and I thought it was some sort of short circuit but it wont turn back on so I am thinking just a complete failure of the computer..this once happened with my old computer about 10 years ago, i was powering it on and it stopped working, the hard drive failed..I would think this current computer could be saved til I started smelling a really bad smell of rubber immediately after it happened, like burning rubber..now the smell is gone but for like an hour it smelled like rubber was burning
  4. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    they shouldnt disappear, just dont click yes if it asks to sync, click no, i think it will just tell you its for another library. keep itunes closed until you get your music off your ipod. i think the apps are connected to your itunes account, so you should be able to redownload them. non-appstore apps can be copied to your laptop like your music. and then back to your ipod via total commander. I'd still check out your hard drive though, all your info could still be on it. Good luck.
  5. lakerfanalways

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Ok cool so all I gotta do is put my music back on itunes by my external drive since I already have them there..as far as my Apps are concerned I dont mind putting them all back in..so lets say I do sync my Ipod to my computer and there are no apps in Itunes, then I can just add in the apps that I have purchased..where on ITunes do I go to recover the apps that I already purchased.? I went into Itunes on my laptop just to get an idea where I would have to go and I went to my account but did not see where I Can redownload them..also this does not effect my jailbreak in anyway right..it will just like as if I just jailbroke for the first time and I am putting my stuff in..thanks again