My Custom modded "recycled" iPod (pics)

Discussion in 'iPod classic, nano, etc.' started by alamnac, Sep 13, 2009.

1. alamnac

alamnac New Member

Hi all,
    I thought you guys would be interested in this little project I did over the Summer. I collected a few broken iPod 5 and 5.5Gs which would otherwise have gone to landfill and used them to create a single working one. I then added more and more mods, until it met (or, in some cases, exceeded) the specifications of a brand-new iPod of equivalent price (16Gb Nano).

Front - iVue transparent case
    Back - Brand new UNSCRATCHED crome back, custom laser engraved
    Insides - salvaged mainboard, Hard drive replaced with 32GB CompactFlash card (increased longevity + battery life), battery upgraded, and a few more I can't think of off the top of my head.
    Firmware - Continuum 2.0, Rockbox

Total cost to produce came to roughly £180, the same price as a 16GB Nano at time of build. And with the 30GB hard drive replaced with a 32GB CF card, it should last a long time (I have an annoying habit of breaking hard drives

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

As you can see I christened it the "Frankenpod". Comments and questions more than welcome.

EDIT Forgot to mention, the reason I did all this (yes there was a reason :

) was because I will be applying to University this year to study Engineering and wanted some kind of project that would be 100% my own to show the admissions people at interview.

Attached Files:

2. FailSafeIsntSafe

FailSafeIsntSafe New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Continuum 2.0 ftw! Its nice to see we got some iPod Wizard refugees out there

3. ben

ben Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    That is so beastly.
    Makes me want to try it...

4. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I was well into iPod modding. I had a tri-boot RockBox/Stock 1.3/Custom 5G, was active on iPW, iPH, I installed/modded the firmware at least once every week . Those were the good days. I've since replaced it with an iPt (obviously), and given it to my Dad. I could just ask for it back, but building my own iPod with flash & transparent front would be teh shiz. I also saw an Instructable on modding bluetooth headphone support into it as well. Combined with a custom-engraved/brushed metal back, it would be teh epic shiznit.

TL;DR: I must do this.
  5. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You will then send it to me.