My computer is dead and I don't have a recovery disk

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by 15avaughn, Jul 8, 2010.

1. 15avaughn

15avaughn Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    My old toshiba laptop (c. 2001) fell on top of my head and Now it gives me this message, "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \Windows\System32\config\system" Since I got it from my grandma used it doesn't have a recovery disk so I can't repair it that way. The only bright side to this is that I finally have a reason for my parents to get me a NEW laptop =P. So anyways is there another way to repair my computer or am I screwed? Also I wrote this on an iPod touch because the only other computer in the house is a virus infected vista. So I don't have any computers to create a boot disk. And don't tell me to get a windows XP disk off of eBay because we don't have a credit/debit card or paypal. Please help, my entire iTunes library Is on that computer and if a ios 4 jailbreak comes out I can't use it. If you can help me thank you in advance.
  2. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You could take out the hard drive and connect it to another computer, transferring your music library out. However, if a system file was corrupted, some of your music may have been corrupted as well.
  3. 15avaughn

15avaughn Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I'm guessing ps3 Linux would have come in handy right now huh?
  4. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No, just find any other computer, buy a usb cable that connects sata/ide harddrives via usb and transfer all your stuff out

Please Register or Log in to view images

that simple.
  5. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Fell on top of your head? whoa! Am I reading that right?
  6. Tommm

Tommm Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you had XP on it legally before it broke its legal to download a copy of XP from *insert ******* site here* and use the serial that's on the bottom of the laptop to activate it.
  7. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    No, considering he would have to go to a new computer to burn the disc when he could just connect the hard drive to that same computer.
  8. CocaCola

CocaCola New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    +1

That's not a bad idea, but it'll cost money, and there's that whole mess of "may not be compatible" thing.

What I thought of:
    If you find another computer (especially with a recovery drive), put it in a spare sata on the mobo (or take out the recovery drive if you need an open sata) and use the old cable and HDD to plug it into the other computer.
    Could be a little problematic, but hopefully not. System8's will work almost for sure. Mines just cheaper.

But haha @ system 32\system being messed up. That's so stereotypical for a crash.

Waitwait.
    Start her up, and hit f12 or whatever key to start the utilities. Those blue and white menus before windows fully boots up. I did this with tech support a little while back. It didn't work, but it sometimes does. There's two different utilities you can run, and I think both have the word "utility" or "diagnostic" in their names, or something like that. Try that.

EDIT: Oh, about the Vista computer being virus infected. Just unplug teh interwebz long enough for you to backup your itunes. Oh, and get some antivirus on it to fix it. Download or buy some good program and throw it on a USB, plug into the computer (with the internet still turned off) and install it.
    Viruses can't do much with the internet off. If they wanted to delete everything on your computer, they woulda done so already.
  9. 15avaughn

15avaughn Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thanks for the help. I'll just wait until Christmas when I get my new laptop and ask for one of those USB things (the vista computer doesn't have a recovery hdd so I can't use it either way)
    Oh and @qaiz yes you're reading that right

Please Register or Log in to view images