Review My Brute

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Abcmsaj, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Please Register or Log in to view images

My Brute is an app based on the web game. The idea is to create your own "Brute" and pick a Dojo and Skill for it to have. Then you choose other peoples' Brutes to fight, and basically watch the magic happen. From here, you gain XP (whether you win or lose) and then you post the result of your fight up on Twitter for the world to see.

The app is a similar idea, but much more creative and easier to navigate. Make your Brute, customise it, name it, etc, and then go to the arena.

This is the menu you'll see, where you can pick from 3 random fights on the right, or just type the name of a friend's Brute if you know it.

As the battles loads, you'll get this (both characters are animated and actually move as well, different to the online version) You can see your opponent's skill - He's got a bear, means he's stronger. I've got a snake so I'm faster and more agile.

Ohh dear...​

You can't actually decide how the fight goes, it's all computer generated, based on numbers and shown like a movie for you, normally people with high strength beat faster people though. This is one of the things I like. It means you need to work hard to earn your wins, and you gain experience for every fight you participate in, win or lose:

The downside to the app, is that you're only able to have 4 fights a day per Brute, because your Brute becomes "tired" - So you'll need to pick fights carefully.

Some other features are weapons and special moves that you can teach your Brute as he levels up. The specials are specific for the Dojo you pick at the start of your Brute's career.

You can see that I'm rubbish at the game...

Attached Files:

2. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Harnessing the features of 3.0, the developers have added the ability to play any music from your iPod when you're using the app

Although this is a nice feature, I do actually like the music, although a bit cliche! It does set the mood before you play the game.

And also, if you have a friend with a Brute, you can become his Master (or vice versa) and you can both earn special gifts in the game

Overall, it's a solid, well built game and if you were a fan of the web-version, you'll love this one more. My only cause for concern is that playability is lacking, because you can only play 4 fights a day. Meaning that your XP intake is slow and you only end up playing with the app for 20 minutes a day (because fights also tend to be too short)

The game costs $4.99 (£2.99) and there is also a free version. The links for the games are below too.

Scores on the doors:

The Lite Version (Click picture to open iTunes):

The Full Version (Click picture to open iTunes):

3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm confused as to what the differences between the lite and full versions are, bar the option to play your own music in app. I agree with the scores, too pricey and limited plays per day seems to kill your enthusiasm... mind you, I'm on day 3 and still trying

Nice review.
  4. Duykur

Duykur Banned

Et tu brute? unfortunately this game looks very boring, good review though!
  5. Abcmsaj

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I don't think there's any differences :\ Bit of a con ?
  6. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Great review. I just downloaded the Lite app and I'm starting to understand it... SOMEWHAT!
  7. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wait, no differences between full and lite? o___________O

Also, I love the graphics.
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I just found out what the difference between Lite and Full versions is... In the Lite version you can only go up to level 2 (around 10 fights) before you're maxed out and have to create a new character... so it's a very light Lite edition that has even less replay value than the full version!
  9. Germany

Germany Banned

I think I might get the full version. Lite sounds a bit repetitive and boring. Nice review by the way.
  10. BadKarma

BadKarma Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    The game itself would've earned a 4.8 from me. Only the customization and graphics are great. This just an Evolution from the text-based MMOs.