iPhone 3GS My 3GS is dead

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JP_ctm, Dec 18, 2009.

1. JP_ctm

JP_ctm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I'm trying to restore to the latest firmware, but the iphone will not complete restoring. I turned it off, then when I tried to turn it back on, nothing would come up on the screen, and it remains black. The only time something comes up on the screen is when Itunes is trying to restore it. Everytime I plug it into Itunes, it tells me the iphone needs to be restored. I've tried to restore it and put it in DFU mode many times. I've even tried restoring it to the 3.1 firmware. Right when the progress bar on the iphone is about half way, I always get an error 6 on iTunes. I have tried on different computers, but I still can't get it to work. I even had to resort to geek squad and att for help restoring, but none could fix the problem. I get the same error. Is there anything I can do to save it?
  2. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If you went to both the Geek squad and At&t then I'll assume you have no problem going to Apple also. Make an appointment and head over to your local retail store, if they cannot fix it and your warranty is still going which it is (Every iPhone has a 1 year warranty with its purchase) then they will replace your iPhone.
  3. JP_ctm

JP_ctm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I was afraid I would have to return it. I didn't want to return it because Apple will send me back a replacement 3GS with the new boot thing which means I will have to tether it. This place was my final hope for an answer on how to fix it before i sent it to Apple

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Renegade

Renegade Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm not saying you have to send it back to apple. I do not know an answer to help you, I just wanted to share with you that your able to replace with apple (just incase you were unaware, since you haven't talked to them yet).

Anyways, before giving up I'd keep tryin and wait for more replies from other members. They may know something you can do.
  5. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I was put in this situation before. Here's the strange thing, I tempered with redsn0w I think it was, not sure what version, trying to jailbreak when blackra1n wasn't working and got stuck into this situation you were in after a failed jailbreak attempt.

I tried using redsn0w to boot it and such, and after a couple try's it booted perfectly fine, from there I did a restore.

Get a hold of redsn0w, give that a try. Pretend your jailbreaking, you might think it'll screw it up more but it doesn't, and it won't jailbreak. If it doesn't boot from there, try doing another restore. But instead, before you plug in your iPhone hold down your sleep button and home button for 30 seconds, at 15 release the home buttno.. I think that's right? then plug it in and go for restore!
  6. JP_ctm

JP_ctm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I actually had it to restore once yesterday. It started up and looked fully restored. I could even see the front page. Just when I thought it was finally working, I put it on sleep, and it went back to the same problem with iTunes asking for a restore and an error (6). I tried everything and researched the problem online, with no answers on how to fix it, until I finally gave up on it.
  7. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Did you try a different .iPSW, and iTunes reinstall?
  8. JP_ctm

JP_ctm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I said I tried it on more than one computer, and I even took it too the places mentioned. The same error comes up. Even restoring it to 3.1 didn't help.
  9. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Put your iPhone into DFU Mode and restore to a clean 3.1.2 firmware.
  10. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yeah, try to restore/upgrade to 3.1.2