My 2/100 of an American Dollar Bill

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Danls92, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't know what's been going on lately, and honestly I don't quite care. Most people's eyes will glaze over the moment that they read this and either click somewhere else or shoot off the generic "F**k the establishment" type comment that is all the rage these days.

Basically, and coincidentally I read a comic today which had something very similar to this statement in it (though in the comic the word "user" was replaced with customer"). I felt the need to share it.

The user is not always right.
    Most of the time, the user is a clueless moron.
    If this sign upsets you, you are this moron.

Now wait. Stop before you hit the enter key on that post demanding I be removed from this post, stop before you send me a PM informing me that you are not in fact an idiot and some derogatory comment about my parentage, and listen.

I love being a part of this forum. What other reason can you think of for me spending such an inordinate amount of time doing a job that more frequently gets me insults than praise, takes up as much free time as a I muster, and most importantly is completely voluntary? So it saddens me when I see the self-entitled little "revolts" popping up.

To sum up my feelings, below is a little questionnaire. It is all simple, yes or no questions and will take less time to complete than your intricately reasoned argument comparing me or the rest of the staff to facist german dictators.

1) Do you own this forum?

2) Are you/ or have you ever been the administrator of this forum?

3) Do you spend your time and money maintaining this forum for the several hundred thousand users that visit here?

Case 1:
    If you got answered one or more question as yes, read below. If not skip to case two.

Hi Bobby!

Case 2:
    Stop whining.

If you don't like this forum, you can leave. If you demand a picture signature, you can leave. If this forum has no right to not have an iPod-centric version, you can leave. If you absolutely must post your racial slurs, political rants, and call each other juvenile names, you can leave. Finally, if you have taken offense to anything I've said in this post so far, you can leave.

Let's go back to that "user's aren't always right" thing I posted above. I'm not calling anybody here stupid, this forum is a collection of some of the brightest minds and most Apple-savy people outside of Cupertino. All that this means is that some users have this sense of entitlement which completely escapes me. Bgizzle is providing a website for you to be on, unless we have some programs going on I'm not aware of nobody is forcing you to log on. If you don't like it here then leave!

Criticism is a fundamental part of improving, and user-input is a fantastic thing for any website, but when that input is "this site is anti-free speech!" or "the staff is a bunch of nazis!" does that really help anybody? Talk to us, we are all receptive to what you have to say. If you have a good idea, there's a good chance it will be implemented. If you don't, then what's the harm in trying? The only thing is to differentiate between advice and demands. Advice can be accepted or rejected, demands will get you banned.

I can not speak for the rest of the staff, only for myself, but I am sure as hell tired of all of this. If you've made it this far, I really and truly thank you. Without you, the users, we would have nothing to moderate. Just try to keep this in mind the next time you feel the need to invoke Godwin's law.
  2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Thank you very much.

It's properly stated 2¢ but that's okay. I forgive you.

But in all honesty, this was definitely needed. Hope this shuts them up.
  3. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    So you are ranting on the ignorance of certain people within the forums?
  4. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    check your last paragraph "i can not speech for the rest of the staff" not sure if its correct.
    Besides that very well done.
  5. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    What Dan mentioned only in passing is that moderating is a voluntary, hard, and thankless job. Many of the previous posts I've made on this topic in the past few days have focused on my ownership of the site, but much of what I (and Dan) said is equally applicable to the fantastic volunteer moderation staff that works very hard to keep this place clean and pleasant. As you can tell, there is a lot of frustration among the staff with regards to how members treat us, and we hope that this viewpoint will drive this important message home again: we owe YOU nothing, you owe US respect.
  6. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

That's so true. But some people don't believe that.
  7. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Yeah, but those people are wrong.
  8. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Fixed, thanks for catching that.

I did that intentionally, I find amusement in rephrasing cliches.

Not the ignorance, the self-entitlement. Very close, but subtly different.
  9. michaelsipod

michaelsipod New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  10. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

I know, very creative. Had me thinking for a bit. I thought it was $2 at the start, but then I figured out that it as 2¢.

@bgizzle: Yessir, they are very wrong.