MXtube question!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by dieselboy27, Aug 1, 2008.

1. dieselboy27

dieselboy27 New Member

I backed up my downloaded youtube videos from mxtube and would like to ssh them back into my 2.0 touch. Does anyone know the directory that the files are saved to and would that work??? I'd prefer not to have to download them all over again. THanks!
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Try /var/mobile/Media/MxTube/.
  3. ASLAN27n

ASLAN27n New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I tired to SSH all my old mxtube videos back but wen i went to videos it didnt show up. if any1 knows another way how or if im doing it wrong then ur help would be great
  4. dieselboy27

dieselboy27 New Member

I also tried with no luck

Please Register or Log in to view images

Maybe the developer would know what we could do???
  5. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I wish there was a way to SSH the videos you download onto your laptop or something (is that even possible) then automate it with a push of a button or something. I remember being tired tof having to ssh onto my ipod everytime just to get the videos I want on my laptop.
  6. rd001

rd001 New Member

Well, after I scolded everyone for scorching their Cydia installs by mucking with SSH/SFTP, I'll tell you how it's done.

Apparently you have to modify the filelist for MXTube in /private/var/Mobile/Library/MxTube/VideoLibrary.plist. This is an XML property list file, common on the Mac.

Copy this file to your Mac desktop, then use Property List Editor to modify it. You can see from the entries made in it already how to specify the files you want to include.

Then SFTP it back to the proper directory and your videos will appear. MxTube checks this file for its listing, not the directory with the videos in them.

Using this method, I converted a standard .flv to .mp4 and then made a 320x240 JPEG thumbnail, gave it the same name as the video and an extension of .thm and it all worked. (For widescreen vids, use a 352x240 JPEG thumbnail with a .thm extension.) I also used a short name for the video with no embedded spaces, just alphanum characters as I suspect this is one of those cases where punctuation and other characters could muck things up badly.

There, now I'm a hypocrite.

Don't b*tch at me if you screw something up. And make sure you don't alter file permissions.

Using this method, you'll find the video listed in your Videos list but it won't appear in your Downloads list. You can delete it normally on the Videos list if you need to.

If you had saved your old .plist, you might be able to copy/paste the entries into the new one. I'm not sure but they probably retained the old .plist format. You might check if you have a backup containing that file, might save you some work if you have a huge pile of vids you want to install on the new MxTube.

Disclaimer: I've only owned an iPod touch for a month. So take my expert advice as an "advanced user" with a grain of salt! However, I'm not exactly a hacking newbie and have a lot of experience with Tivos, Macs, PCs, etc.
  7. iBiite iChu

iBiite iChu Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have no idea but it downloads so fast why not?
  8. dieselboy27

dieselboy27 New Member

Thanks for the info on uploading videos to mxtube. I figured there was something to do with the list file in that directory, but I never bothered to check it. I had hoped it would have been just a simple uploading procedure. Well for those adventurous enough at least there's a way. Hopefully I save my list file.
  9. ASLAN27n

ASLAN27n New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanx for the help good thing i saved my old library plist
  10. rd001

rd001 New Member

Good luck.

Not sure if there's a readily available .plist merge utility to help you out.

Still, you should be able to copy the Item1, Item2 entries in their entirety so it would only be one copy/paste for each video. And you just can't have downloaded that many new ones since 2.0.

Cool. Just found a trick for merging the .plists.

I duplicated my old VideoLibrary.plist file to a VideoLibrary 2.plist, then opened both in Mac's Property List Editor.

Then I tried dragging single video entries across (under Root, pick Item 1, Item 2, etc.).

Drop them on the list in the new .plist file directly on the Root object. They get copied and appear instantly and get a new number (like Item 3, Item 4, etc.).

Hmmmm...might not be such a chore after all.

Good luck. You might post back on whether it worked for you.

My main concern would be if they have changed the .plist format at all from MxTube 1.1.4 to MxTube 2.0. That is what I would check most closely when using this method. I would do it for you but I've never had a jailbroken 1.1.4 with MxTube on it so I have no old VideoLibrary.plist files to check this with.

For Windows users, you can edit these XML files with any text editor manually. Their structure is pretty obvious.

On second thought, it might be easiest for both Mac and PC folk to simply edit and merge the .plist files in a text editor. Check your results but a single cut and paste and Save As might be all you need to make it work.

On PC, use Wordpad or a programmer's editor that doesn't include carriage returns. Macs and Unix don't like carriage returns much and that might bork your .plist file. It makes no sense but I've screwed myself over a number of times with carriage returns.