Music search feature gone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by papucho, Sep 16, 2008.

1. papucho

papucho New Member

I just got the new Ipod Touch 2g. I used to have a ipod nano 3g but someone stole it

Please Register or Log in to view images

So... I decided to get the new spiffy ipod to be with the cool kids and hoping for all the best and new features around. Then I felt like my face hit a brick wall when I couldn't find the "search" feature in my music library :\

I used the search feature very frequently on my nano to find songs that I didn't quite remember their full artist name or song name. Was this super useful feature removed from the ipod touch? Is it still there and I'm just blind? Why in the world would they remove "search" :\
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There has never been a search feature.
    The alphabet thing on the side is quick and easy to use.
  3. papucho

papucho New Member

I'm talking about the search feature on the nano and other ipods previous to ipod touch (any version of touch)

This is my first time using an ipod touch and i just find it weird that they would remove such a useful feature. The alphabet thing on the right doesn't help at all when I want to find a song that has the letters "ghtz" somewhere in the middle or end of the name...
  4. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

I've never seen the 'Search' function on any iPod i've ever owned, mainly because you couldn't write the letters in with only the scrollwheel, unless you have rockbox

5. papucho

papucho New Member

Say what? There's always been a "search" feature in the "music" section of the 3rd gen nano, I would guess on the classic too. You select letters with the wheel and use the middle button to type the letter in the search box.
  6. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

He never had one of those. The earlier iPods never had a search function and neither does the iPod touch. The letters on the side work fine.

As of now, there is no way to "search" for music.
  7. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    you are WAY OVER YOUR HEAD!!! lookie here... go to songs... you see the alphabets going in order??? slide down it... and the song name will appare as you scroll down.... this is an ipod touch.... it does not have a wheel on it to "type" in the songs....

explore your ipod first.... it is alway better that way...
  8. BenMoore

BenMoore New Member

Yeah it's ridiculous that the only iPod on which you can't search your own music is the one with the full keyboard! Every update I keep hoping they'll have added search, because – like you – I often can only remember a word or so from a song title I'm after. Also, I have lots of badly labeled tunes from music blogs via the Hype Machine etc.

You can search the iTunes store from your iPod touch, but not the music already in your hand! Very frustrating, and odd. I thought Genius might accidentally offer a way to search, but it doesn't really.
  9. ELLDAWG

ELLDAWG Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    you dont need to search when u can just tap on the song that shows up, its not like a click wheel that takes much more time/precision
  10. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Exactly...lol

I find it even unnecessary.