music has disappeared

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Clur, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Clur

Clur New Member

Hi
    I have searched the forum and apologies if I have missed the solution but I am feeling a little sick at the moment. I have had my ipod touch for two months and have imported my entire record collection, removed duplicates bla bla bla (I have spent a huge time on this and hope you feel sorry for me) and yesterday posted a new thread as my artwork is a littled muddled up. I turned on my ipod this morning and decided to delete a few songs off some of the albums to make room for the new cds I got for xmas and to use i tunes store for the first time to fill up the gaps in my collection. This worked ok and everything was as it should be. With my ipod attached to my computer I then went to this forum to see if there was a solution to my artwork problem and about 5 mins later went back to the ipod to import my xmas cds to find that all my music has disappeard and the computer will not recognise the content on my ipod. The photos are still there and are viewable, there were no videos so don't know if that folder was affected and the memory is reading 481mb available (sounds about right as I had deleted a few individual songs this morning). I do not have a very powerful computer (pc) and have had to delete all the songs from the hard drive when I ran out of hard drive space so restoring is not an option I want to consider (if at all possible). I did ask for an external hard drive for xmas but santa was not forthcoming! As the memory on the ipod is not registering 14GB free I assume the songs are still there. I tried the 300mb solution on one of the threads (holding the sleep and home buttons down as instructed) and the microsoft solution (switching it off and crossing my fingers when I turned it back on) but when I press music it just says no content. Please could someone help me? I am not terribly computer literate but I have so far been able to set up the albums and playlists etc to my exact specifications as the ipod touch has been so easy to use.
    Thank you in advance for your help
  2. mphype

mphype New Member

Im confused..... So you added new songs to your iTunes and everything is gone on your iTunes???? Or did you add new songs to your iPod and now all of your music is gone on your iPod (but still in iTunes)? Also little hint.... shorter and more direct posts will get more replies

I have no idea but here are some cliff notes for other readers. (let me know if they are right)

CLIFF NOTES:
    -has 16gb iPod Touch
    -Spent lots of time editing artwork and adding songs
    -Deleted a few songs on his iPod to make room for new ones
    -Now all of his music is missing (in his iTunes i think)
  3. macster

macster New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    how do u erase duplicates of songs in iTunes
  4. leo10

leo10 New Member

hey
    the same thing happened to me..
    my cousin told me that when you go to i tunes you have to click manually manage music & videos otherwise when you add more music it will disappear
    not 100% sure it will work but im just telling you what i heard
    glad to help ( if i did)
  5. Clur

Clur New Member

Apologies if my question was long I was trying to give maximum info. Cliff notes all correct except I am a girl (ha ha). I did not add any new songs I deleted two albums successfully from ipod. I have always had manually manage music setting as I have limited number of songs on hard drive and don't want to lose from ipod. Everything ok after deleting two albums (everything else still there) then came back to ipod later with intention of adding more songs to discover all songs were gone (but memory full so hope they are still there). Does this make sense?
    Thanks
  6. Clur

Clur New Member

I've lost the will to live

As a desperate act I pressed the sleep and home button down together (trying the 300mb fix again) the ipod turned off and a message bing bong came on my computer saying my ipod was in recovery mode, now it won't come on at all, what have I done?