Music bookmarking? WTF?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by The UNtouchable One, Aug 21, 2009.

1. The UNtouchable One

The UNtouchable One New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I noticed recently that my iPod and iTunes was bookmarking my music. What do I mean by that? I'll listen to a certain song (Song 1) and get about halfway through it and decide to listen to something else. So I change over to Song 2 and then listen to a few more. It bookmarks Song 1 where I stopped it and continues off where I left it. Personally, I find this really annoying. It's happened many times and I just want to disable it. Is there a way to do so?

Please Register or Log in to view images

P.S. I've Googled for help and found NOTHING. I've looked in my iPod and it doesn't help either.
  2. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    My guess is that you did not acquire those songs through legal means. Thus, your iPod recognizes them as podcasts and therefore bookmarks them.

Kidding about the legality part. But the iPod does that with my recorded sounds that I recorded with garageband so maybe that's it. In iTunes convert the songs to AAC and see if that helps.
  3. The UNtouchable One

Device:
    iPod touch
    Actually, I've ripped all my CD's to iTunes in .aac format. I know you're joking, but it's just worth mentioning.

It happened after I added a whole arsenal of mp3 albums, but I don't understand why that would change it. I don't have any podcasts... just worth mentioning.
  4. abakalad

abakalad Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeah same here i just noticed this

what the hell does it mean
  5. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hmmm... Do you use a dock that has play/pause controls?
  6. abakalad

abakalad Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yes, well i do anyway
  7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well, i'm no way sure, but maybe if you pause something from a dock it adds the bookmark.
  8. jhloa2

jhloa2 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    select all the songs with that problem and go to info and change the setting that says start where left off
  9. The UNtouchable One

Device:
    iPod touch
    I can't name each and every song with that problem. Could I just highlight 'em all and do it?
  10. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes. Select them all, right click and set from the Options tab "Remember position" to "No". Works great for audiobooks (and podcasts) but for music... not so much.

If this doesn't help then it's some kind of a bug and you should restore it from iTunes. You'll loose everything on it but you'll end up with a clean install. You'll also have to jailbreak it again, if you want to.

Anyway. It's been discussed before. For future reference, hopefully some bonehead will google by key words "ipod music bookmark" and he'll stop asking.