Music App For Car (easy to use while driving)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Articfury, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Articfury

Articfury Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I was wondering if anybody could make this music app for me. It would be a mod of the original music.app. This purpose of the app would be to make it easier to use the music app while driving. i have an iphone holster that holds it to my windshield similar to a gps. There are a few key issues with my current setup which are as follows:
    1. My head unit does not show the time unless i hit a button. By default it shows the mode, which is AUX.
    2. It is very difficult to read the song title and especially the artist name, because the font is so small.
    3. It is difficult to press those tiny forward, back, and play buttons, while driving.

All of these issues require me to take attention away from driving.
    The app i would want would make the play, forward, and backward buttons bigger.
    The time of day would appear in a large font at the top.
    The song name and artist would cover the middle area in a large font.
    and the time bar/shuffle button would be below this.
    here is a mock-up.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The red area is where time goes. the blue is where the play, forward, and backward buttons go. the green area is where the time bar of the song goes. The white area is where the song title and artist go.

I would not actually want these colors in the app, they are just there for mock-up purposes. The design of everything beyond the layout is completely up to you. If somebody could make this it would be soooooooo appreciated. Thank you.
  2. M3rcer

M3rcer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    There are alredy some other options for this kind of problem, in AppStore you can find PocketTouch from a MTF member: Skylar or FluxTunes wich is the one I'm using.
  3. Articfury

Articfury Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    thank you for informing me about fluxtunes. i was already aware of pockettouch. however the thing that annoys me about both of them is the huge ammount of space wasted with cover art. instead of swiping, which i would imagine is difficult while driving, due to bumps and shaking, i would prefer to just tap a button.
  4. afredman

afredman New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Is there a voice controlled music app?
  5. Articfury

Articfury Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
  6. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    PocketTouch was amazing, I have no idea if SkylarEC still maintains it though, but it does almost exactly what you mentioned.
  7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

If you want to tap a button to change songs etc, you might as well use the default music player. Though this can be very dangerous while driving since you will probably need to look at your iPod to see where the button is. Some people will argue that they can remember the position of the button, but honestly, swiping is a lot easier and safer. And I doubt a bump on the road will really mess your swipe up. I don't think it'll make you do a zig zag or anything, and even if it does, the worst thing that can happen is that it changes the song when you don't want it to be changed or it raises/lowers the volume when you don't want it to.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Supposedly, he's working on other projects right now. But he has an update, but he knows that the update will not get into the App Store. I obviously don't know why, but he has his reasons of thinking this.
  8. Articfury

Articfury Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yeah i tested pockettouch today and it was pretty good. The swiping was pretty easy. The text is bigger, which is nice. The only problem i have is the huge waste of space. I will use pockettouch from now on, but i still wish it made use of that space to show the time or make the song title even bigger. Thank you for recommending it.
  9. afredman

afredman New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
  10. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The thing about PocketTouch is that it's fully themeable. If you don't like the way the app looks, simply change it. This is, of course, easier if you're jailbroken, as you can change more options than a non jailbroken user can. http://www.pockettouch.net/creating-a-theme/