@MuscleNerd: Dual Boot Thread u asked for!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by SiN Altr Ego EL, Apr 14, 2009.

1. SiN Altr Ego EL

SiN Altr Ego EL New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    alright musclenerd.. so here is the thread that u asked for so that u can help me out with the 2.2.1 and 3.0 dual boot.. i am the holder of the FusionDevTeam Twitter account.. so i asked u for the help.. i am one of the founding fathers of Fusion Dev Team.. so.. yeah.. but lets get started..

i know that there is some partitions creating and deleting and whatnot going on and if i mess up i brick my ipod... yes i know.. i've read that you need to use Ubuntu... is this true? or can i use Red Hat linux? and then.. i also need to know where to get the files needed for the process as well as... well.. how to actually DO the process with the updated firmwares..

thanks so much in advance!

NOTE: oh people, please don't spam stuff here.. this is a serious discussion. i got confimation from MuscleNerd on Twitter that he'd help me out.. so... yeah.. lets keep this on topic here.. thanks guys!
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

The general jist is to make the partition on /var so that it doesn't get erased when you upgrade.

I'm sure Red Hat would work fine, but Ubuntu may be needed for certain usb packages that come standard.

And why did you need a thread?
  3. SiN Altr Ego EL

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    yeah i mean i get the general concept of it.. but i would like some specifics.. kind of like a step by step guide and hopefully we can take this and turn it into and actual tutorial.. and yeah thats what my dad said about the linux thing too.. but he didn't know for sure either.

the only reason i'm using a thread is because musclenerd asked for it. we were talking on twitter, and i asked him for help and here is what he said...

so.. here is the thread, and so.. i'm guessing that he will contact me when he can actually do this.. soo... yeah.. ^_^ lets hope that all goes well and i can actually get this to work...
  4. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

5. dancerdudes

dancerdudes Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Why don't you guys just email, or twitter, or PM each other then post the guide to dual boot....
  6. SiN Altr Ego EL

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    DID U NOT READ MY POST?!?!?! he said that it requires too much back and forth to explain on twitter.. he requested to have a thread up, and so i do what he says.. he could have decided not to help me and say "screw u, who the heck do u think u are asking me.. blah blah.." but no he didn't. he willingly decided to help me out.. so the least i could do is fulfill his request to have a thread. don't question... read the thread before u post a question that was answered 2 posts ago!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    yeah i've seen this one, but idk if u can actually change out the fws... like replace 1.1.4 with 2.2.1, and replace 2.0 with 3.0... there is just too many questions to ask btwn the two, so idk.. if musclenerd can confirm that EVERYTHING in that tutorial is correct, and all i have to do is just substitute the FWs, then i can do it. all i need to know is what platform/OS to do this all on.. but yeah...

PPL!!! leave some space here for MN and myself to chat... frankly, i'd like it if this thread would be untouched until i hear from MN, but i no that won't happen, so at least... maybe contribute sucessfully to this topic like Gitykins has, or keep the pointless questions that were already answered to a minimum... thanks guys much appreciated!
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I doubt very much if MuscleNerd has the time to write you a full guide... however I will honor your request and also ask everyone else not to spam the thread.

Over to you MN.
  8. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Oh it's not the same as that by any means, that's just how I got started when I first tried. I got it successfully after about a full day's worth of tinkering. The commands aren't even the same anymore, as you can't change boot arguments from terminal in 2.x and I don't even have a working terminal on 3.x, so I got stuck on it after booting to it.

MN will be able to help you out the most out of anyone in the whole world with this topic.
  9. SiN Altr Ego EL

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    thank you very much Stu, yeah i'm not expecting a full on guide or anything, just some help.. like some things that change from the old tutorial and to this new process. as gitykins said, some things have changed.. so i'm just wondering as to what has changed, where to get some of the files that are specified, umm what platform to do it on... etc.. theres a bunch of questions that i have.. and hopefully i'll b able to do this... but yeah..

once again, thank you stu for your help with the no spam thing, and hopefully MN gets on his twitter soon and sees that i sent him a tweet.. but yeah... so... lets hope that this gets done.
  10. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

since boot args are not publicly changeable (w/o a payload, still not very hard but regardless), the only way to switch between the partitions would be set the boot arguments variable, which sends you back to a tether/dongle. this is at least my understanding on it.