iOS 4.0 multitasking

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Narutimateha, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Narutimateha

Narutimateha New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    how is it different from the 3.0? i run music and it plays while im in a game or surfing the web. could someone explain it?
    also if i were to jailbreak 2g ipod, how does the multitaskingwork, same as the ios4?
  2. tag009

tag009 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Double tap the home button....
    All those apps never "permanently" closed.
    Like safari doesn't reset the web page anymore
  3. Narutimateha

Narutimateha New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    oh so part of safari still runs in the background when i close it for easy access later?
  4. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yea but remember the ios 4.0 speech by jobs video that was posted on this site weeks ago.

when an app is in the background it doesnt work like pc/mac multitasking it's not running

the state it was in last is saved and then it's pretty much frozen in that state, uses no ram or cpu (for cases of non push apps only)

until you elect to go back to the app then it starts back from the saved state. so safari in the background uses no cpu/ram when in background

only when you have push turned on for apps that use push and eventually get rewritten by their devs to support multitasking (such as pandora) will it continue to run but in limited fashion

its a really funky way of doing multitasking and not true multitasking like pc's/mac's etc.
  5. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)