iOS 4.0 Multitasking? Well, sort-of, but not really.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Max Peck, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Max Peck

Max Peck Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Just FYI guys ... I just got through installing iOS4 onto my 3rd-gen iTouch. Seems to work OK.

Multitasking? Well ... at this point I would not say that it really is. The applications you run get placed into the task-switch dock but when switching to them it's as if you did a normal home-key/launch sequence. The dock appears to be little more than a MRU (Most-recently-used list) at this point. When switching to the apps, they behave just as if you shut them down and restarted them.

For example - I started up Virtual Pool. Got to a point in the game where I stopped - double-tapped home. Switched to another program. Ready to go back. Switched back - found the game back at the home menu again; just as if I'd shut it down. It was *slightly* quicker to get to the home menu but to say that it retained exact state in the background? Nope.

-Max
  2. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Developers have to update their apps with the new APIs.
  3. gtyjrocks

gtyjrocks Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I think the developers have to make the apps so they support multitasking correct me if im wrong.
  4. Max Peck

Max Peck Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Did search. Was not certain that the info was still relevant. Don't appreciate disciplinary tone of your post. Was providing feedback of new release as of today.

Interesting that app developers have to develop to new API to be task-switched. Bad design.

-Max
  5. Sorry, but how do you get a tone from text?
  6. gatorboy312

gatorboy312 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    They have to do this because Apple requires it this way. It apparently saves battery life. No its not true multitasking, but it should be better since it saves battery.
  7. Max Peck

Max Peck Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Sorry 'bout that ... I just checked back and it was in your signature. Scanned it too fast and thought you were "slapping my wrist". Heh ...

-Max

Please Register or Log in to view images

------------------double post merged------------------
    I will be interested, then, to observe how the apps update and deal with this. I'm used to a true multitasking model in Windows Mobile (which I don't use any more). Applications on that platform are truly multitasked - you switch back-and-forth and they are exactly where you left 'em because they run in the background.

I wrote O/S level code for years. An application shouldn't even know that it's in the "background" aside from the absence of I/O coming from a user in which case it should sleep.

As to the design being power-driven, OK ... however the term "multitasking" is inappropriate for the present implementation. The term "task-switch" might be more appropriate here right now. Multitasking means complete contextual swap which this ain't.

Don't get me wrong - I think the iTouch rocks - I just ain't fooled by their present description of "multitasking". It just isn't yet.

-Max

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well at the moment the only real app with multitasking support is pandora officially at least.

it multitasks beautifully since the new version of pandora released.

plays music in background while im surfing or using facebook

until other devs add multitasking support in their apps then those apps wont multitask
  9. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Jailbroken multitasking > Apple's multitasking IMO because ProSwitcher is plug'n'play.... I guarantee that Apple's multitasking will never be implemented into every app on the appstore.
  10. Cito

Cito Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'd be willing to bet money that this is how things will start working

best case - devs make free apps (without multitasking written in) then charge for "full versions with multitasking"

worst case - devs will make 3 tiered apps, such as:
    1. free apps = no multitasking with full of ads.
    2. 99cent-midlevel price = no multitasking & no ads.
    3. full price = multitasking support & no ads.

is my "prediction"

/me takes tinfoil hat off