iOS 4.0 Multitasking, Folders, and Ads. OH MY. (My Worthless Views)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Virtualball, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

So, it's been awhile iPTF; I try and leave, but I always come back like a lover scorned. Anyways, while most of you probably have never heard of me (

Please Register or Log in to view images

), here's my views on the new firmware.

What I'm seeing in the community is pretty much what I saw wayyyyyyy back in the 1.1.x days; a lot of b*tching. Many seem to be mad that multi-tasking is only available on this-gen models and many are pissed that ads are now apple-supported. Here are my views and why a lot of you are wrong!

Multitasking
    Seriously, they came out with a legit and beautiful way to deal with what has otherwise been a headache for most. As Steve said, "If you see a task manager, you've messed up." This is intuitive, it just works, and it doesn't seem to slow the phone down much. So what's the problem? Well, if I remember correctly, I always frequented the 20 Mb free RAM line on my 2G iPhone. While decent, there's no way for them to pull off seamless multitasking on those devices. How can Apple expect the device experience to be intuitive if it'll slow down a lot because of the little amount of RAM. I know you can multitask now with jailbroken apps, but let's be honest here, it's slow, choppy, and can usually be only done with 2 or 3 apps. Big deal. While it sucks to hear it, it's time to realize that the RAM in your device just isn't cutting it really. It's not the end of the world, just use your device as it is and when it dies, buy a new one with more features. You've gone this long w/o true multitasking, you can deal with the jb solution for a little more.

Ads
    Lol at everyone complaining about this. You already HAVE ads in your free apps. Despite what people say, it isn't hard to ad them and it's extremely easy to set up an account. What Apple's trying to do is make it a nice user experience. Why do I see ads for Texas Hold 'Em in my document-based app? Why are they advertising movie apps in my 3D games? These ads we have now.. well, they suck. Apple's making the experience nicer by making apps that are attractive and that are relevant.
    Also, people need to grow up. I know jailbreaking allows you to get all the apps you want for free, but seriously, if someone is making apps for free; the least you can do is click a f***ing ad once in awhile. You're not donating, paying, selling your sister into slavery; you're clicking a button. Boo Hoo.

Folders, Wallpaper, Keyboards, Etc.
    All in all, this was an amazing update. Even if you're not a new device owner, you still got great updates. We can now organize our SB with folders! I would've liked to see a more "updated UI" but take what you can get. Now, there's nothing that can be really updated. I mean, think about it, besides flash and a frontwards facing camera (which is coming in June), what else is there to add? Nothing. Apple successfully cornered the competition this time. I hope Apple comes out with additional features next year mid-cycle like 1.x days, though. They came out with GPS-like locations, wiggle home screen, web homepage buttons, I want to say streetview, and more. Apple can't afford to do another "1 bug fix update" year like they pulled this year.

All in All?
    I give this update an A. Just wait till then new iPhone comes out though

2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I complete agree with you, on the iAds side and everything else, nice write up.

Are there ads that actually make you do that? Sounds tempting

3. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    20MB free on a 2G iPhone? That's why they aren't getting multitasking at all.
  4. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I agree 200%
    The adds i dont see why they complain. It's free f***ing apps. How could u complain. Like you get a free car but its green and you wanted red.

The multitasking: U ALREADY HAVE IT!!!! why do u care you jailbreak your ipod for a reason. 3rd time saying this
  5. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    BUT, iADs shouldnt be a reason for us to pay 2.99 or something for a new firmware, aswell in the folders you can only have 12 apps each?? come on Apple!! i have over 500 apps for my ipod touch that take up around 11 gigabytes and the only way to have them on my ipod touch was to use categories and since my ipod touch died and i had to upgrade i thought that this was a solution! but NO 12 apps per folder??????? why?????? and the multitasking is not greatly done...

basically apple just copied old jailbreak software and did a really crap job of it...

Apple 4.0 - Jailbreak Equivalent

iBooks - there are loads, seriously...
    multitasking - backgrounder
    iADs - ok they didnt copy that, but come on its not THAT great, is it?
    "Game Centre" - Whats wrong with Openfeint?? (i know its not jailbroken...)
    Folders (innovative name) - Categorys

and more...

one thing... FM CHIP?
  6. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

iBooks - Greater quality
    Multitasking - Designed by the people who create the OS and hardware so it can be optimised (as it has been) not to eat battery like background
    iAds - Greater quality adverts than admob and Pinch Media, it's a better UI than what you have now and makes your device look nicer. Also devs have to make money one way or another
    Game Center - There's so many platforms, if Apple release on that is built in to the OS, developers will go straight to their platform which means ALL your apps will be centralized.
    Folders - Much nicer UI and implemented better.
  7. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Well said.
  8. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    folders can only have 12 apps in them... why?
  9. Shadowriver

Shadowriver Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Best way to prevent people from jailbrake? implement in ligit way

besides as Chicken said, this implementation will 100% more stable that home made JB solution

also OpenFaint is limited with Apple lest restrictions, with this service build in to system it will be easier to implement and who knows... you might not need multitasking to have support of challenges ;] Keep in mind that Apple made patents for it 2 years ago, so they had that in plan

FM chip is not that easy as people thing, read my thread about what is impossible or "hard to do" with iPhone OS

iPoT 1G hardware also had chip that supports BT, but without antenna... it's just piece of plastic
  10. Zc456

Zc456 Member

I thought it was unlimited.