Multi touch wiki, any plans?

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Toilet Duck, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toilet Duck

Toilet Duck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just curious, as I've only been on here a few months. But are there any plans for this website to bring out a wiki for all things multitouch?

It would probably save on repeated threads, along the line of "i've got an iDevice running OS x.x.x, can I jail break it?"

And serve as a useful reference for all the other stuff people routinely ask about.
  2. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i dont think they will. They never seem to make any big changes
  3. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I think that the idea of having a wiki is a great idea. It would serve its purpose and help people I believe, but it would be a very labor intensive process to get compiled. Who would be the writers of it searching through years of things getting facts?
    Merging the two sites, how the front pages are set up, and all those mods in 1 week, all just this month isn't a big change?
  4. Toilet Duck

Toilet Duck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thats kind of the point of a wiki, if you the forum member read something, and find it to be wrong, you can edit the wiki to correct it. Its kind of a self editing thing. Obviously it would initially need to be given a basic framework (front page, info about various generations of device, glossary, jail breaks etc) but from there, it can be built up by the users, for the users.

In much the same way as this forum is policed by volunteers, you'd have volunteer "super editors" who could act on reports of deliberate mistakes etc, discipline people who are repeat offenders, restore sections back to earlier more correct versions etc.

As for big changes, well they sort out some web space for the wiki to function, skin the wiki the way they want it to look, and provide a link at the top of the forum page, then a link from the wiki back here, then set people free editing and updating.
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I know what a wiki is.

Please Register or Log in to view images

You don't seems to understand how hard it would actually be to police it, given the amount of users and general age group of this forum. Most of the users here I believe would be to young or immature to informatively and correctly edit the articles. The main user group on the site just wouldn't be the ones up to par with doing this. Do you understand what I mean? I am not ruling out the possibility of some select users of the site as editing correctly, but I see it as few and far between.

As for your "Super editors", this group would have to posses a rather large and extensive knowledge and "history" to say, in order to be able to edit other users info correctly. The Super Moderators here have enough to do as it is, being volunteers, tacking this on would be too much I believe. There jobs are hard as it is.

I do like the idea of a personal wiki, but just not one for this site.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Toilet Duck

Toilet Duck New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I wasn't trying to patronise you...

I was thinking that unless they volunteered, the "super editors" and the forum moderators would not be the same people. If the super-eds received a message from a forum member that entry X was deliberately wrong, would allow them to investigate.

I wasn't thinking that the forum enslave the super-eds, and force them to review 2000 pages a day for mistakes!
  7. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.