MS Exchange client functionality

Discussion in 'iPod touch in the Enterprise' started by ph2t, Apr 20, 2008.

1. ph2t

ph2t New Member

Been reading up on the FW 2.0 features. The big thing for us enterprise blokes is the mail exchange functionality. I only recently got going the IMAP4/Mail client thing but really (considering the size and folder layout of most corporate mailboxes) it's a bit of a joke to navigate, keep in sync, etc, etc.....

Has anyone here used the Exchange client within an enterprise LAN? Would be very interested to know how it is going. My boss bought an 8GB touch for the dept to dev apps on so I think I'm going to ask him for that. (don't wanna touch by custom baby, lol....).

If we wanted to (legitimately) develop/test this client we would need the following things?

-a mac (minimum OS to develop on)
    -the SDK (developer account)
    -some clues

Is this all that's needed? I hate asking questions where I figured a bit a research would address but I couldn't find anything in the forums with users using the Exchange client with FW 2.0.

representing the 30yo+ minority......

ph2t.
  2. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

Hey

One of the things I was most excited for was having push email on my Touch. Unfortunately, I just can not get it to work. Upon looking at the crash logs in Xcode, it seems to be a certificate issue, and there is also a communication issue, I can't remember the error code, between my Touch and the server. I've done some research, and though I'm not alone, there are others who have had problems. I tried sorting through it with someone from my IT department, to no avail. I imagine once 2.0 is available to the public, there will be much more support.

You nailed it on the head with the equipment. You don't need much else.

Anyway, let me know if you have any luck getting Exchange to work, I'm dying for push email!

Long live the minority!
  3. ph2t

ph2t New Member

Hey Mike, thanks alot for the response, was getting worried that the only sort of posts that get responded to here were of the pubescent variety, lol....

I found this link here to the ms exchange team blog (for exchange server 2003) regarding push email:
    http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/04/03/424028.aspx

Some interesting reading. As for Exchange 2007, well we haven't implemented that yet. I might try it out though. Is that what you're using to develop/test?

Also, here's a wiki about push email in general, VERY thin on the ground regarding iPhone/Touch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail#iPhone

Hmm, time to start looking into that old mac in storage, might actually use it yet!

Please Register or Log in to view images

cheers,

ph2t.
  4. pixels2k

pixels2k Member

I've been using the Exchange client within our Enterprise Lan with no problems. Once i had all my account settings set on the ipod, it took less than 2 minutes to be up and running. It did a sync w. my Exchange emails, calendar, and contacts, and everything runs very good. We run Exchange 2003 in here, been too busy to upgrade to 2007

Please Register or Log in to view images

But like I said, no problems, everything running smoothly...
  5. ph2t

ph2t New Member

That's great to hear mate. Thanks for the reponses! I take that you didn't need to set anything specific to the exxhange server? It's pretty much a full MAPI compatible client?

Thanks again!
  6. pixels2k

pixels2k Member

Correct, there was no need for any changes/settings on the exchange server. All i provided on my ipod was the server, domain\username and password and let it discover the network. I ran the client within our domain, and while at home, and it worked flawlessly in both places for receiving/sending.
  7. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

I wish I had this kind of luck. Unfortunately, not the same for me... Doesn't work at all.
    1 person likes this.
  8. ph2t

ph2t New Member

Mike, maybe install the term package and see if you can ping the exchange server from the console within the touch. Also, try and use the FQDN format. eg server.domain.com I've noticed that the touch likes full DNS formatted names.

cheers.
  9. cburkard

cburkard New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Something to try if you're getting SSL certificate issues when connect to your corporate LAN is to put a host record on your internal DNS server with the same FQDN as your external OWA/OMA website that points to the internal IP address of the website... for example:

External DNS: email.company.com = 209.152.93.3
    Internal DNS: email.company.com = 192.168.1.3

That way the name on the certificate (email.company.com) is valid from both inside and outside. If you're trying to access it on the inside using the internal name (FQDN or not) it will pop an error since the hostname answer the web request (example: email.company.lan) does not match the certificate (email.company.com).
  10. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

Thanks for the advice, gents. I'll see if I can make any headway.

And, thank goodness, there's a few of us that are post-adolescents. Not many but we're out there!