Mplayer 2009.6.23.1 in Firmware 3.x

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by un49iven, Jun 22, 2009.

1. un49iven

un49iven New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    FIX: Mplayer 2009.6.23.1 issues in Firmware 3.x

Hi, this is kinda an FYI post... for those who want to use the 'as-of-this-moment' latest Mplayer (version 2009.6.23.1 released on 23 June 09) from the ModMyI repo.

Firstly, the changelog has incorrect dates... it shows 2008 dates instead of 2009 dates...

Secondly, after the package is installed, if you try to run the app, it may not start up properly. You'll notice that it starts and closes after 2 seconds... the reason... it's not cuz of 3.x incompatibility... it's a permissions issue. Apparently, execute permissions are not attached to the files during install... so all you gotta do is add the execute permissions...

Using MobileTerminal or SSH,
    cd /Applications/mplayer.app
    chmod +x *

Using iCommander,
    Navigate to /Applications/mplayer.app and set permission of all files to 755 (click on the > at the right)

Using iFile,
    Navigate to /Applications/mplayer.app and set Execute permission to all files for User, Group and World (click on the > at the right)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    btw, did anyone else have this issue with this release of Mplayer in OS3.0 ???
  2. ManyThanks

ManyThanks New Member

Thanks so much for that. Lack of a diverse video playbacks has been my primary problem with the update and you just solved it.
  3. Ruamrudee

Ruamrudee Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I have the same issue...

Thank you, i'll try this

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. speculatrix

speculatrix New Member

thanks for the tip, mplayer now runs and plays mp3 files which is cool.

once you start playback the settings and exit buttons don't work which is odd but not the end of the world

it's a bit picky about media/codecs, but all in all looks very promising, thanks!
  5. T-Pwn

T-Pwn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What about AVIs?
  6. un49iven

un49iven New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    @speculatrix
    yeah, it's weird... during playback the Quit & Setting buttons don't work... but hey, it's a glitch I can live with...

@T-Pwn
    I use this player for AVI, FLV, MPEG... all work fine... and smooth... provided that video size is not too large (I'm not talking about duration)... it supports quite a few other formats, but I haven't tried them...
  7. speculatrix

speculatrix New Member

I have a script to convert media for playback on various devices, and I added an apple "preset" to it

http://www.zaurus.org.uk/download/scripts/avi-recode-2pass.sh

use it thus:

$ ./avi-recode-2pass.sh apple myfile.avi

you can also rip a DVD track with it thus

$ ./avi-recode-2pass.sh apple dvd://101

in above example 101 is the dvd track number - use "lsdvd" on linux to find the longest track and pick that!
  8. iEatApplesLikeYou

iEatApplesLikeYou New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thank you, I downloaded Mplayer after upgrading to 3.0 and it would just quit after starting, so I figured it wasn't compatible and gave up. I decided to look for alternatives today, when I found this thread. Is it possible to put this explanation up in the Cydia description so that people downloading it now know that it does actually work?
  9. un49iven

un49iven New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well, I've sent poetic_folly (of ModMyI) an e-mail... let's see what happens next!!
  10. un49iven

un49iven New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Got a reply from poetic_folly... he has modified the MPlayer package in Cydia and fixed the permissions issue... you should now be able to use this app without and perm mods... have fun!!!

P.S.: I've tested it and it works fine!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images