MP4 Videos and Subtitles

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by palyons, Apr 24, 2009.

1. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Got a question here, in regards to MP4's with Subtitles that you can switch on and off. I managed to figure out how to get the subtitles in that format. But the real question is this. I went through the subtitle file, made some corrections since there were several typos throughout the original .srt file saved the new file, and re-muxed the MP4 video with the fixed subtitle file. However, when I upload the new video to the ipod, the subtitle showing in the video still has the same subtitle file as before somehow, the typos and everything are still there. I delete the file from my iPod Touch 2G, and from my iTunes Library and even import the video from a different location on my hard drive and the problems still persists.

Is there any way I can clear the video/subtitle cache or anything similar to that so the new file is shown instead of the old one?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Did you remove the old subtitles from the MP4? You can do that with Muxo on OS X. Not sure about YAMB on Windows.
  3. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    I didn't remove the old subtitle file no, however... I ran the mp4box command line program and muxed the new subtitle that way. In Windows to get subtitles to work with the mp4 video it's a bit difficult. 1) Convert the subtitle with mp4box, to .ttxt (3GPP GPAC Text format) 2) Mux the video with mp4box, 3) finally go in and hexedit the part where the subtitle starts, change it from text to sbtl. But when I opened the resulting file with YAMB, the new subtitle was there. Extracted it and opened it with Notepad, the corrections I made were already there.
  4. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Anyone know of any workarounds for this problem I seem to be having?
  5. Ipwnnubletz

Ipwnnubletz Banned

Wait wait wait...

You can add softsubs on MP4's?!
  6. palyons

palyons New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Nevermind problem solved, was able to figure it out on my own.

Edit:
    Yes you can very possible to do so, requires a bit of work though. Message me if you'd like to know how to do so on Windows, assuming that's what you're running.
  7. Sammy003

Sammy003 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    i tried to add subs once but was unsuccessful
    can u tell how u did it or which program you used?
  8. R&S

R&S Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What, i tought that hardcoded subs what the only think possible, it would be really nice if you or someone else would make a "how to" or something.

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Inizio

Inizio New Member

I do know a program to add subs... 'Subtitle Workshop'. Great program

Please Register or Log in to view images