mp3 alarm on the 2g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mapleleafmenace, Nov 29, 2008.

1. mapleleafmenace

mapleleafmenace New Member

No chance they decided to include this and I'm just missing the option in the menus, eh?
  2. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

They unfortunately blocked access to the music folder, I guess they thought with the Touch's almost computer like functionality it could become the hottest music piracy device if someone discovered a way of doing something of that nature.

I was pretty ticked off when I discovered I was forced to the juvenile supplied alarm sounds. I think 'Sonar' is the only one remotely appealing to me.. lol.. Sigh.. Hopefully the jailbreak can resolve this little 'issue'. Nothing a quick patching won't fix.

Please Register or Log in to view images

(I hope?)
  3. mapleleafmenace

How would an mp3 alarm possibly allow for music piracy? If we're granted access to the music folder in the form of playlists, genres, artists, etc, then how would it be anything other than a simple matter to route that into the alarm function?

The sounds they supply are pretty useless. So far I've gone through Marimba, Ascending, and Crickets, and that blasted Marimba is the only one that seems to do the trick. I'm planning on trying the Sonar one next.

Although I suppose the idea of waking up to Ride of the Valkyries doesn't appeal to the beatnik demographic Apple probably envisions. (KIDDING, guys!)

Edit: And I dunno about jailbreaking. I've heard good things and bad things, and the bad things have me questioning whether it's worth endangering my beloved new Touchpod Deluxe. :\ Although I am still keeping an open mind to the concept
  4. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

I assumed when you mentioned MP3 you meant music, rather then custom alarm/ring-tone sounds, my bad.

The alternative to the lack of 'custom sound options' is to use an MP3 of your desired sound, and to do that you'd have to sync it the same way as music (basically as music..). Which just brings us back to the problem I mentioned before.

Honestly, I think locking the music section of the iPod touch is a horrible idea, period. As it doesn't slow down or even make a dent in music piracy. If anything all they did was limit their product.

I'm on the cross as well about Jailbreaking (when available for the 2G) as well. But like anything it has it's Pros and Cons. Just gotta weight your options and go with what is more beneficial for you I suppose. I just want it so I can skin/theme my iPod.. lol =P
  5. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  6. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

7. mapleleafmenace

Yes! Mark our words!

I would think that attempting to limit piracy, if I were one such pirate...not saying I am mind you. But attempting to limit piracy would make me that much more determined. If...
  8. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

You're exactly right, unfortunately large corporations don't really see that..

Make the honest people pay and suffer is the way!

No wonder people commonly do the wrong thing now and days, not much incentive sometimes to do things the honest way. Sigh.
  9. mapleleafmenace

lol Oh well, perhaps we can look forward to shelling out $20 for an mp3 alarm in the next firmware update.

10. B2TheEYo

B2TheEYo New Member

LOL!

Something tells me it'll be the next thing.. 99 Cents per an alarm, just select one of the many sounds in the iTunes store or select a portion of any Song.

The RingTone all over again.. LOL!