Review Moxie

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Radish, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Price: $1.99

Version: 1.40

Developer: Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.

iTunes Link: Moxie|Moxie Free Edition

[What is Moxie?]

Moxie is an original point scoring word game revolving around replacing and adding letters to words. The app store isn't without its share of word games, a quick search gives more than a thousand results. Moxie is unique and engaging, but if you're not into word games, Moxie is not for you. However, if you are, read on.

[Gameplay/Controls]

Moxie has one of the simplest concepts for a game I've ever played. It's not so much as knowing a lot of words (although it helps) but more about strategy. In fact, I found myself scoring higher by making several small words rather than few large words. Here's how it works. There are three by five slots for letters. They are all blank at the start and you begin slowly trying to form words from one letter each turn. Once you make a word you gain points, replacing a letter in that word or adding a letter to the word scores you more points. "Twaddle"/Mess up a word however (a word that previously gave you points) and you are penalized with a score deduction and you lose any word chains you may have. Words can only be made across, not down or diagonally. Spell Moxie words, from a list the game provides, and you earn bonus points. If you spell the same word twice, you don't get points, but it doesn't count as a Twaddle either. Confused? Here's a quick animated gamplay picture.

Or maybe you prefer video.

(There is an instructional video in the game as well)

[Presentation/Graphics]

[ A ] This contains your current score and your highest scoring word. Next we have the number of Moxie words scored, special words that are worth more points. Twaddles are made when you break a word chain, and deduct points. Game type changes sets of Moxie words, three sets to choose from. Letters in queue are numbers of letters you have left to use.

[ B ] This is the current letter you can use this turn.

[ C ] Input the current letter into the various boxes to spell words for points. Deducts a letter from the queue.

[ D ] Tap this to bring up the Help menu

[ E ] Skips the current letter. Also deducts a letter from the queue.

[ F ] Opens the menu.

There's nothing special about the graphics to comment on, it's just like the gameplay, simple. Very straight to the point. Nothing distracting or annoying either.

[Extra Info]

[Audio]

Audio fits Moxie, subtle clicks when touching letters, menus etc. Some of the same sounds are used for different things (or sounds similar, I can't tell). No annoying audio. Nothing to complain about, yet nothing to shout about either. You are able to turn off the sound effects in the options menu if you so wish.

[Replay Value]

I found myself coming back to Moxie in the few days I had it. It's not a game where you can play for hours on end (or even one hour on end), more of a game to play while on the bus, waiting for friends, basically when you don't have time for a bigger game.

It does sport one of the best high score tables I've seen though (weekly highscore, local high score, global high score). Seems pretty easy to get on to the global high score list at this time. I have a few on there. ​

[Last Thoughts]

I enjoyed Moxie a lot more than I thought I would. I initially assumed I wouldn't like this game because of it was a word game. That being said there are a few things that could be done to improve this game, such as the ability to remove letters. I found that if you create a long word, it was difficult to create any more words from that and you basically had to Twaddle. In addition, there weren't enough twists to the game to make it engaging as opposed to just killing time.

There's just nothing overwhelming about Moxie, it's more of a "meh" game. Not to say it's not good because it is good.

[Ratings]

Gameplay/Controls: 8/10 - Good gameplay, great controls.

Presentation/Graphics: 7/10 - Nothing special, nothing to complain about either.

Audio: 6/10 - Decent. Undistracting. Repetitive.

Replay Value: 8/10 - I'll definitely play it again, but not if I have time to play other games. Great high score table.

Value for the Money: 7/10 - Many, many other word games that I suspect could be just as enjoyable. All were around $0.99, $1.99, $2.99.

Overall: 7.2/10 - "Good". I'd recommend to pick it up as a time-waster, but not as a real game.

[Additional Images]

Attached Files:

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Another great review by Radish. Nice read and top use of the new MR Team Rating System®.

3. roboticos

roboticos New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hm nice review.
  4. Xtreme Touch

Xtreme Touch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice review. I want to write just like you =P