Moving iPod Touch from PC to Mac without App Data Loss?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DataWizard, Dec 23, 2008.

1. DataWizard

DataWizard New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello. I'm getting a MacBook for Christmas and I know I have to convert my iPod touch to Mac format for it sync with it. Is there anyway to do this without deleting all of my App Data? (Game saves, settings, etc.) Are iPod Touch backups made on a PC compatible with iTunes for Mac? Could I simply copy my back up files to my Mac and then "Restore from Back up"? And if it does let me do that would it also convert it to Mac Format, or would it stay Windows Format? So how exactly, if at all, could I do this?

Oh, and just so you know my iPod Touch is not Jail Broken and I'd prefer it to stay that way, so please no solutions that involve jailbreaking.

Thank you all in advance!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. ur_so_beautiful

ur_so_beautiful New Member

All i can say (I'm in the same situation as you but with MacBook Pro lol) copy all your files from the PC to the Mac either with a USB Memory Stick/Card or set the both up on the same network to share wirelessly. Another option is install SSH on your Mac, copy all the files off onto your Mac, sync (blank) iPod to the mac, re-sync with the stuff you want. What I'm going to do is put my iPod in restore mode so it syncs perfectly first time. Cool.
  3. SteezyG

SteezyG New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    windows formatted ipods can sync with a mac, only mac formatted ipods can't sync with windows.
  4. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    I would have to disagree from personal experience. I have restored my ipod touch on a mac and went to my pc and sync just fine also vice versa. I know that other model such as the nano cant sync with a pc when formatted with mac and vice versa but i dont think the ipod touch is that way.

But when it comes to transferring music/videos from pc to mac with out the use of burning cd's, in mot sure how that will work. I am also getting a mac book, actually its the even better than a mac book. Its a mac book pro

But i have to wait a week or two till i get my financial aid money. Im not spoiled

5. DataWizard

DataWizard New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah. I think I'm just going to copy all my music, library, and back ups folder to the proper locations on my mac and then restore my iPod Touch using the little restore button. The worst that could happen is it can't read the back ups and deletes everything off my iPod, in which case I can just go over to my PC and restore my data using that back up. Then I can try again using a different method.

....that is of course, only if I find that it DOES need to be formated. I just checked, and the "Format Type" item isn't in my iPod Touch's "About" screen like it was in all previous models of iPod.............