Moving EVERYTHING to hard drive partition?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Emanjl, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is this possible? I was reading the sticky guide on moving the apps to the hard drive partition to survive an update/whatever and I thought "What if we move everything to the hard drive partition?". Then we'd have a back-up right on our iPod!

Please, reply with your comments/questions/anything.

I think this'll be a really awesome way of backing up our iPods if it can be done.

Thanks for reading

Please Register or Log in to view images

EmanjL.
  2. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Can't move EVERYTHING.... BUT I created a guide that would allow you to pull 208Mb off of the system partition, but no-one appreciated it, so I removed it.
  3. Mint-Berry Crunch

Mint-Berry Crunch Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    There's no need to move EVERYTHING to the media partition. Only thing that needs moving is the Applications folder as it does get busy. Fonts, maybe. Other than that the system partition doesnt need additional space. It has plenty for system related activitys and files. You dont need 208mb because it wont get used. Its more efficient to use the media partition. If someone codes an app that uses mass space on the system partition, there WILL be sym links. (<-- Situation unlikely) Its not that I dont appreciate it, its that I dont have a need for it as my system partition space hasnt changed at all after I Symlinked my apps folder. I have just under 950mb left out of 16 gigs, i dont think i have space for 208mb that is unnecessary to move from an unused partition used only by the system
  4. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Good job! But, how could you remove it seeing as you're not a mod

Please Register or Log in to view images

As I said, I didn't mean to move it in order to reduce the amount of space used in the system partition but rather to have a potential backup right on the iPod itself. One example would be if you wanted to update to a new FW but didn't want to lose all the customization that you had done throughout the course of the previous FW (me). You would update the system partition with the new FW then (if new FW allows) copy back the customization.

EmanjL.